Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well after I put on the Holly 750 on the freshly built 354C 4V, she got louder, then real loud. The baffle blew out of one side, and blew a hole on the top of the other side. Got to tell you, it sounds great now, but attracts to much attention (the man is watching). Besides I sould fix it right.

I'm running 2.25" duals straight back, I was thinking of getting Flowmasters, but which ones should I get?

In Summit catalog the have quite a few to choose from.

any input would be helpfull. I do like that big thick sound, but the performance is what I'm after. It is a daily driver, but will see the strip.

It's a Cleveland and they love to breath!!!

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have my catalog in front of me know, but I saw they have 40, 50,60 series. what's the diff.?

I don't want it to loud like cheery bombs, but if they flow good the sound should be there.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Flowmasters dont flow that well. Delta flow flowmasters are kinda weak in my opinion. Get the Original 40 series if you want it to sound good. what is the compression ratio?

Jeff Given

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
I am running the 3 chamber FlowMasters on my 351C 4V and it is loud ... I believe Jeff is running 2 chamber on his (very similar build)

Trust me ... Jeffs is louder

Larry Madsen
Las Vegas Nevada

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: monstermach on 1/21/02 10:27am ]</font>

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
I am also running 3" exhaust from the collector back. my collectors are 3" so EVERYTHING is 3". Before I had 2.25" and when I went to 3" it made a HUGE differance. Also I have my exhaust exiting out the sides of the car before the rear wheels. and yes Larry, I do have the 40 series...but not the Delta Flow. The delta flows are much quieter.

jeff Given

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
ohh yeah, also just the compression jump from the open chamber heads with flat tops to closed chamber heads with flat tops made a HUGE differance. Guessing my compression is anywhere from 10.5-11:1 ? before it was 9:1 maybe?

Jeff Given

·
Registered
330 Posts
I just had a pair of flowmasters put on my stang with a cleveland. I know they are 3 chamber, but not sure on the type. The car sounds like it did with just the headers, but toned down. I like the sound. Not too loud as to get hassled by the cops, but loud enough to let everyone know that I got something under the hood

Later-
Matt

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my compression is 9.5:1

351C + .030 over
4V closed chamber
RV cam

3" collectors off the headers, reduced to 2.25" , mufflers half way back, then straight out the back.

I don't want to go to 3" yet, seeing how the pipes are only 2 years old.

they are advertising some that are 40 series 2 chamber and will give 15 to 30 hp.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Don't beleive that the Flows will give you more power. Well, maybe a little more than a really restrictive muffler, but, they will not add power to an already decent exhaust.
I have 3" 2 chambers on my 351C with dumps before the rear, and they are about 1 tenth slower in the quarter than open headers.
In my opinion, the best muffler is a muffler that you can see though. That will be the least restrictive.(although loud)

Grabber Green '70 Mach I 351C 4V
Robin Egg Blue '79 Fairmont 351C 4V

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: clevelandstyle on 1/22/02 12:53am ]</font>

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
On 2002-01-21 11:31, slick mo fo wrote:
my compression is 9.5:1

351C + .030 over
4V closed chamber
RV cam

3" collectors off the headers, reduced to 2.25" , mufflers half way back, then straight out the back.

I don't want to go to 3" yet, seeing how the pipes are only 2 years old.

they are advertising some that are 40 series 2 chamber and will give 15 to 30 hp.
Slick Mo Fo,
What pistons are you using?

When I went to 3" exhaust on my nearly stock motor, the car fell on its face. The only thing that was not stock was the headers, and a 750 VS. The upper RPMs of the motor were not bad, but the lower were just pathetic. This was a stock 4v open heads. With the cam I have now, and the heads, 3" is not a problem.

Jeff Given

1 - 13 of 13 Posts