Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be a good blower cam for 302 with a paxton blow threw box supercharger with 7.5PSI. And what cam would work with 9psi. It has a Edelbrok RPM intake and Edelbrok 1.9I 1.6E RPM heads.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'm using the Comp Cams XE-274HR cam because it was already installed before the supercharger went on. It's one of Kenne Bells favourite cams.

Just make sure that you get a cam with at least 112* lobe separation. Usually 114* LS is the most popular.

For a best bet, I'd get a custom ground cam, ex Buddy Rawls etc.. It's worth the extra $150.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Advice that is seldom taken:... a factory 5 liter, H.O. cam is better for most bolt-on engines than any "blower/supercharger cam". The cost vs. benefit does change until you go over the limitations of the factory built-in rev limiter...6200 rpm and above. If you must, absolutly have a non-stock cam, try one of the "letter" FMS cams; B303 or E/F303 or an equivalent, if you are running a non roller engine.

This advice is commonly disregarded, 'cause the factory cam doesn't "sound" like it has any performance potential. Remember, the supercharger is doing the work, the engine just has to hold the pressure. Most perfomance cams work on the principle of encourageing more air into the engine...with a supercharger you don't have to worry about more air, so the cam is less of an issue. Spend your extra money on an intercooler, pulleys or a better fuel system, better ignition.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Beoweolf on 6/27/06 10:06pm ]</font>

·
Registered
317 Posts
I opted for the custom cam from Comp but the XE274HR is what I was going to go with. According to Desktop Dyno it would have made more power than my custom but a little less torque. I was shooting for the 500hp 500tq setup and ended up with a little extra.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts