Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The blower fan is squealing on my 77. I am ready to replace my AC compressor in prep for summer, so I want to get the blower working properly. Have any of you guys dealt with this? I am wondering how hard it is to get to this thing, and then will I be able to lube it up, or will the motor have to be replaced? Will appreciate any input from anyone who has worked on the same problem. Thanks, Ron

·
Premium Member
34,854 Posts
This is one of the easiest restoration parts in the world.

Take it apart, get new brushes and a new bushing and bearing. Install, paint semi-flat black and put it back in.

It literally takes 2 hours if you wait for paint to dry.

The only hard part is holding the brushes open to slip the armature inside them.

Some motors have a bronze bushing front and rear others have a ball bearing rear and bronze front and others the opposite.

You're likely has a bushing in the bottom and bushing at the neck. Simple schmimple. :)

Have fun. And if you screw it up a new motor is only abotu $30 or less if you get it form a DC electrical place.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Can you actually get the internals? I did it this way, but i have blower motors by the case for parts....If you dont have any experience in side an electric motor, this is an ok way to learn about them, otherwise...a replacement is the way to go. Is this the AC blower, or the heater? I assume ac since you referenced the AC pump, my 75 had AC and used a seperate air plenum assembly and a seperate blower motor, which is a bit of a bitch to replace IIRC, but not hard by any means.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I will do the rebuild route if the new parts are available. This is a factory AC/Heat system, so I "ass"umed that there is only one blower fan and motor. The squealing I hear is when running the heater. The AC compressor is locked up and I am about to replace it and recharge the air. Actually I thought all factory setups had only one fan.

·
Registered
241 Posts
IDK if my setup was factory...sure fit good though if it was aftermarket...if you liquid wrench it, the squeal will come back, likely in short order...I would lube it too, as FE said, but, just be warned, it'll squeal again.
Thanks guys. I will do the rebuild route if the new parts are available. This is a factory AC/Heat system, so I "ass"umed that there is only one blower fan and motor. The squealing I hear is when running the heater. The AC compressor is locked up and I am about to replace it and recharge the air. Actually I thought all factory setups had only one fan.

·
Premium Member
34,854 Posts
Not quite sure it will come back. It fully depends on WHY it was there. Sometimes they'll squeal from fiber debris from insulation and rubber breaking down, sometimes because a heavy smoker once inhabited the car... The smoking car and insulation car squeal will be relieved for years with lube....

Determine the reason then find the cure. Easy to see when you get it out.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Not quite sure it will come back. It fully depends on WHY it was there. Sometimes they'll squeal from fiber debris from insulation and rubber breaking down, sometimes because a heavy smoker once inhabited the car... The smoking car and insulation car squeal will be relieved for years with lube....

Determine the reason then find the cure. Easy to see when you get it out.
Fair enough, Ill conceed ;)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again gentlemen. I hope I can get on it this weekend. If so, or when I do, I will post a brief follow-up. Ron

1 - 9 of 9 Posts