Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of issues or recalls on the blower fan speed switch?
As I was removing the dash from my 1972 Gran Torino 4 door parts car, I noticed the fan switch was broken, not making contact at all on any speed. Upon removal and inspection, I found out why, switch had fried at some point, melting the connector, and a short portion of the wiring loom melted.
I am curious what would be the cause of this, if a bad resistor, the blower fan motor, or?
I have been after another a/c car harness for my 1972 sport for about 3 years now, and this one, asside from this, is pristine and unhacked.
Andy

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have a 73 Gran Torino and the core began leaking some 12 years ago. I remember Anti-freeze dripping from underneath the dash on the passenger side. Before it got to that point, the fan motor would take awhile to get up to full speed. I even blew the fuse a coulpe of times. Maybe the previous owner had the same problem and but in a fuse that held more amps and thus caused the wires to overheat and melt.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had not considered that, but upon me removing the dash, I wondered why there was a heater core in the trunk. My heater core case was broken, most likely because who ever did it didn't know how to fix the heatercore correctly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts