Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok I am going for a 347 here and I am wondering what you guys think would be better for a week end car

motor is not built yet so things like copmpression ratio, heads, cam and the like are all variables

thanks for any help:lol:

·
Registered
330 Posts
Why not both??

But if I had to choose ($$$ not a factor) I would go with a blower. One because it looks cool and it gives you more power all of the time, unlike nitrous, where you get shots.
Have FuN!
Matt

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
B&M makes a small blower (144) that fits under some hoods and increases horsepower up to 40%. It sits 8.67 inches tall from block up. It's called a powercharger for 5.0

Rick

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
Any power adder can exceed the capacity of the stock block if pushed all that hard... and that is with the stock 302 stroke.

Stroking puts extra strain on everything, making the assembly able to handle LESS power. If using a power adder, I'd stick with the stock 3.00" stroke. You'll still be able to use the stock crank and rods as well, as long as the machining is good and ARP Wavelock rod bolts are used.

As for which is easier... blowers are easy enough on EFI cars, but carbed cars are a pain to get right with a blower. I'd go the the nitrous route with a carb. It's simple, easy, and when it isn't in use, the drivability is unaffected. Carbs and blowers are a pain.

By the way, the B&M 144 is no longer in production. Holley took over the B&M/Weiand blowers and now only offers the 174ci version. It's good for around 14psi or so.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
A buddy of mine was wanting to build a 347 stroker with the Holley blower on top. I talked him out of that, and sold him on a 351W based 408 with nitrous instead.

MUCH stronger block, bigger headbolts to keep those head gaskets in check, no tuning insanity with the blower/carb combo, etc. On the nitrous, it will be maiking SCARY amounts of power... if he ever gets the nerve to use it. The engine will be making an easy 500hp without it... on pump gas too!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have had a 351C blower motor, Dyers 6-71, twin Holleys. A 351C with nitrous. A 351W with nitrous. A 350 chevy (sorry guys) turbocharged. For street driving I liked the turbocharged engine the best. Then the nitrous engines and finally the supercharged. The supercharger made tons of heat and was hell to tune correctly, also only got 6-7 miles per gallon. If you got in a race and lost then you could never live it down because of the big supercharger sticking out of the hood. The turbcharged engine was a blast and the good thing about it was you had the power any time. The nitrous engines have alot of power with the juice but you are always thinging about having to fill the bottle again. So you don't use it as often.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes I was aware that B&M were no more I was actually looking at the 174 holley

with the 2.4 belt ratio it is aprox 16 PSI

I was not going to sick with a stock Block
was going to go to the R302, great way to make fun of hondas I real type R for them

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
by the way I was thining more along the lines or 4340 cranks h beam rods forged pistons and such, nothing stock

P.S. what compression can I get away with on the blower, obviously I will be useing av or race gas

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On 2002-01-02 02:31, Dr Evil wrote:
Why not both??

But if I had to choose ($$$ not a factor) I would go with a blower. One because it looks cool and it gives you more power all of the time, unlike nitrous, where you get shots.
Have FuN!
Matt
would it actually be possible to use both providing everything could hold together through it?

·
Registered
330 Posts
I guess to could, I have never seen it done. ButI am sure it has been tried. The nitrous would have to be the kind that goes under the carb...I do not see how you would be able to use direct inject with a blower, because that mounts on holes in the manifold, and with a blower, it acts as the manifold.
Later-
Matt

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK I did some checking and you can run a blower and nitrous I saw a guy doing it out at the illegals he had a 427 with and 871 blower on in, undear the carb adapter plate he had a nitrous plate

in a old chevy pickup this guys is running 9's damn near 4000lb

so he must be doing something right

1 - 12 of 12 Posts