Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hypothetical situation, lets say you have a purpose built 302 blower motor(matching heads, cam, intake, etc.) and a 393 stroker (matching heads, cam, intake, etc.) with no blower. Both will use a factory Ford mass air efi setup. Basically, I am comparing boost vs cubes. Assuming both of these motors are built to put up similar power numbers, which in your opinions would get the best fuel economy and be the most reliable.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
393 would be more reliable and won't have a chance of detonation under boost like the 302 would being blown but the blown 302 should get better milage than the 392. the 392 can take more abuse and if at a later date you wanted a blower on the 392, the engine can handle it.

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
Both will make similar amounts of power... and you can always slap a nitrous kit on the 393.

Plus... the 351W blocks is MUCH stronger, and will stand up to abuse way better than the 302. It also has larger 1/2" head bolts. The 10 tiny 7/16" head bolts of the 302 doom it to repeated head gasket changes on blown/nitrous combos.

My vote is very heavily "393"

Good Luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
if gas mileage was my main concern I'd go with the blown 302/6. If not I'd go with the bigger stroker and later add that small shot of NOS>>>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts