Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, finally got my 71 Mark III running, this is my first blower motor, looking for some direction/advice

First motor details:
Stock 1971 460 2 bolt
Stock 1973 large chamber heads
Stgock exh manifolds
Forged pistons = 8:1 compression
BDS Stage 2 8-71 w/ high rise manifold
Dual 750 Vac Sec Holleys (the cheap ones, 35cc accel pump)
Isky blower spec cam from BDS
Unilite Ignition 16 init 24 advance @ 2500
Stock radiator, victor water pump, 160 thermo, 2950CFM Permacool elec pusher fan

A couple of questions:

1) Can't idle <1100, all vac lines plugged. Normal?

2) in 70F degree weather, car runs at 180 all day at 35MPH. Idling in driveway, overheats (225+) after 20 mins. Fan? Or rad?

3) Vac/Boost says 19 degrees vac rock steady at idle (is this normal?), no idea true boost as have not opened up (yet).

4) No idea of torque, but I i figured around 550.

Thoughts? Any help / input apprec!

wh

·
Registered
71 Posts
sounds like not enough airflow for the heat problem- fan clutch? or a little plugging can fool a fan clutch from locking up- not heating the air through the radiator ---my little brother is doing a 74 grand marquis w/a thumper style turbo - almost ready to drive --should be interesting

·
Registered
291 Posts
16deg. inital+24deg.advance=40deg. which is 2 much.(WAY to much)Total should probably not exceed 30deg on 92 octane pump gas.I suspect the problem with idle speed is in the carbs. Check the linkage and idle stops on both. Think about...1 carb.=550rpm idle, 2 carbs.=1100rpm idle...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Actually his timing is okay,maybe a tad high,but remember this is a blower motor and they function a little different then na, bds recommends min 16 initial with a total of 32-36.

What is the profile of the cam? specs?

If you dont have them what is the part # of the cam and I'll look it up.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BlownFairlane on 4/24/02 1:32am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BlownFairlane on 4/24/02 1:35am ]</font>

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's my cam specs:

Isky cam blower profile direct from BDS

110 lobe ctr
duration = int/exh 221/232 @ .050 lifter rise

Also, my mech adv dist is specifically set to 16 deg + 18 deg adv in by 2500 for 34 total

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
You also have to remember, there is a lot of pressure being create, pressure results in heat. Now, look at the other side....stock cast heads don't disipitate (sp) heat as fast and using cast exhaust manifolds, exhaust is not flowing as smoothly as you would like.
I take it you have done a cut-out of the hood, so you are getting some air flow while moving but at idle, that air is not circulating and will get hotter.
You may want to switch over to an electric water pump / or drive as the idle is too low to cool that amount of heat.

My .02 cents worth may not go far but it has worked for me.
Fred

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Blown 54:

...I have a 3' x 1' hole in that huge hood...even though my mech temp gauge says 180 around town on nice days...the valve covers, pwr steering lines/everything is white hot under there once i park.

Here's a stupid ? - when at idle, or cruising around at 1500-2000rpm...my vac gauge (installed in the blower manifold) shows 10-15 in. VAC, not boost. In fact, rarely have I ever even seen boost, and that
s only for a second, when i stomp on it.

So - i didn't think boost=heat at idle, since i'm showing vacuum...can you educate me on this? No wonder my eng compartment is !HOT!...???

wh

·
Registered
127 Posts
Your gauge is telling the truth. Your blower is making alot of vaccum at low rpms. Boost will be made when your blower is under load and somewhere around 2500 and up. How does the car perform, does it make good power?

Hey have you got picture of your blower in the car?
If so, can you email them to me
Thanks

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BlownFairlane on 11/11/02 4:03pm ]</font>

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Car makes excellent power. Apparentrly fixed my idling issues, under dist cap found primary contact above rotor completely burnt/fried...? Replaced cap idles well at 750...exh burns my eyes, though, idling super rich...waiting for some hotter days to test overheating in driveway...will send foto blown Fairlane...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts