Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

O.K guys. Got a little happy with the NOS button and did some damage to the 302 in my 68 Mustang. I think that I either cracked the block or my TFS heads. I am getting a boat load of water into the oil. Hopefully it is just a head gasket, but with my luck..... I am still in the process of taking it apart but am already thinking about the next motor. I am debating between a 347 stroker or a 351 windsor. With the 347 I can use my old block, if it isn;t cracked, and the rest of my existing parts. My question is, what parts will go from my 302 to a 351 motor. WIll my C4 bolt up without a new converter or flywheel. Gotta go, my wife is calling.

·
Registered
739 Posts
The C4 will bolt up and the heads, if undamaged will too. The motor mounts work, but other than that and maybe the timing cover, not much.
Hey, while you are at it, a 460 will fit in there...

·
Registered
398 Posts
I tell you, a 460 will cure what ails ya.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
I hope this 460 craze doesnt spread too fast...or my junkyard 460 supply will start dwindling

·
Registered
977 Posts
Man, we are really pitiful specimens. We plan on wasting piles of money on the next motor when we might only need to spend a few bucks on gaskets! At the same time, we'll fuss at the old lady for buying a $50 dress.

·
Registered
750 Posts
On 2002-06-21 23:06, brianfulwood wrote:
Man, we are really pitiful specimens. We plan on wasting piles of money on the next motor when we might only need to spend a few bucks on gaskets! At the same time, we'll fuss at the old lady for buying a $50 dress.
.....And your point is????

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
99% chance it's a head gasket. The 289-302 only has ten little 7/16" head bolts. This just isn't enough for dependable use with a power adder. But, on a side not, these little head bolts provide a 'fuse' that will usually blow before major damage is done.

The 351W block is a MUCH stronger unit. It also had big 1/2" head bolts that will keep the gaskets intact.

After changing gaskets a couple times on the mustang, I finally converted my 302 block to 1/2" bolts, and haven't had any more problems.... but the main caps (secured by the same small 7/16" fasteners) still bounce off their seats and get scarred up. The 351W has 1/2" bolts down there as well.

Small block Chevys have seventeen 7/16" head bolts, but still have the same, small 7/16" main bolts.

My next engine will be a stroked 351W.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm not sure if I agree with what was said about the motor mounts not working with the 351. A 351 is a 302 with a taller deck height. I thought maybe for a second that the 351 mounts would let the engine sit differently, but that dowsn't seem to make sense. MAybe I'm missing something????

·
Registered
108 Posts
Just put in a '74 302 in place of a '71 351W, no difference in motor mounts. Is there a difference in the firing order? I thought they were the same?

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
In regards to the original post,yes the cam and lifters will work to, regardless of wether or not they have the different firing order.I'd build the 351 no question unless you can only fit a 302 block into your car.Room would be the only reason to build a 347 in my opinion

·
Registered
14 Posts
To the original questions here we go.
I've done this swap in my early Bronco.

I was able to use the dampner, flexplate, all the stuff off of the front of the 302(timing cover, water pump, and acc.), I just had to make a couple of brackets, because the heads are farther apart than the 302. Motor mounts are off a 302, but the headers were a tight squeeze. I used just about everything off the 302, but the intake and dist. And you would NEED a bigger radiator.

Definately start w/ a 351w especially if you "HAVE TO" stroke it, then you can have over 400 inches if you want them. Enlarge th headbolt holes in the TFS heads and slap them on also!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts