Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am trying to blueprint my stock volume oil pump. So far I have not been able to find the required clearances to "blueprint" the pump. Does anybody know the proper clearances? What are your preferred steps in blueprinting the oil pump?

Thanks a bunch

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
I have those specs somewhere - I just can't put my hands on them right now. You do realize that to change the clearances you need to have a lapping table and precision ground sleeves, right?
Off the top of my head the clearance for the rotor and ring is .0005" - .001" vertical, .002" clearance ring to housing and .003" "lash" between rotor and ring. With all measurements +/- .0005" (except vertical clearance of ring and rotor in housing) The pressure depends on application and is adjusted with spring and shims. It is measured with a flow meter (another very high dollar item that most people do not own) with a certain pressure at a pre-determined volume per minute or hour depending on the size of the pump.
I will see if I can find the specs and post them for you but it would be cheaper and faster just to buy a high volume (not high pressure) pump and install it.
Paul

·
Registered
908 Posts
I agree with Paul, the need to blueprint a stock volume oil pump will be negated by using a high volume unit with the appropriate high strength drive shaft.

That said, depending on the engine combo (if you're blueprinting the oil pump it must be pretty healthy) I like to increase the oil pump output pressure.

For example, my 545 has an oil pump built by highflowdynamics.com. The pump came with a shim kit to increase oil pressure if needed. So, using the shims I raised the oil pressure to 75 psi hot with 20w50 oil.

Thanks to the nice custom work on the pump itself by Paul at highflow dynamics, the pump also produces 40 -50 psi at a hot 1000 rpm idle.

Greg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j168/point92mach/DSC02792a.jpg</a> " BORDER="0" WIDTH="384" HEIGHT="188">

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: GregP on 10/9/06 12:40am ]</font>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts