Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guy's I finally found a set of inexpensive headers to fit my 351C powered 83 T-Bird. As most of you have been reading this past year I have steadfastly refused to spend $400-600 bucks on headers. Not because I wanted to be a jerk about it but because I have a family of six here and I couldn't justify the money. I have researched this and finally decided to buy a set of Dynomax from the people at Jeg's. They are for a 1970 mustang and have 1 3/4 full length tubes with a 3 1/2 inch collector. They say that they will not fit a C-6 transmission and powersteering but I bought them anyway. Only $99.00. Well, they wern't a perfect fit but they bolted up just fine. I had allready made a notch under the pass. side tunnel just under the A/C drain tube to fit the stock 70 Mach 1 mainifolds and it just so happened that this was needed for the number four tube to clear anyway so the pass. side was a perfect slide in fit. The drivers side fit was even better with the exception of the number five (front tube). It is about 3/4 of an inch to far to the outside to clear the steering shaft. It was so close that I took the header back off and bolted it onto a spare block and head, then I just relocated the tube in 1 inch at the point where it would have hit the steering shaft. I did this by heating the tube at two points about 12 to 15 inchs apart and using a porta power to push it in at the point that it needed when it was done the tube was not smashed and since it was held in place by the mock up head it was still in perfect head allignment. Didn't cost a dime to modify the headers and they clear the C-6 trans with no problems since I run an aftermarket shifter anyway. This may not be for everybody but you can't tell any difference from looking at the installation that is wasn't made for the Fox body. Only $99.00, I saved at least $300 that I can use for other things like groceries and house payments.
I realize that this is a long post but I am thrilled with the results and that is the bottom line isn't it?
BTW anybody care to run my new combo through the desktop dyno, I would appreciate it.
72 4 bolt block .030
flat tops with .080 dish
76 cc heads
9.1 comp
stock crank and rods
hyd cam 510=536 lift 280 290 dur. 214 224 at .050 and 112 LS
4V heads with Ferrea 2.19 and 1.7 valves with the pockets opened and a slight bowl port and a 3 angle valve job.
Wieand excelerator single plane intake and 750 vac. Holley
duraspark dist.
full length 1 3/4 headers
3000 stall converter
Canton 8 qt pan
Thanks guy's, Thanks all youzz that helped me with the header search.......Bob

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Attaa boy, Bob! It's not a matter of being cheap, (or a jerk), it's priorities! If you know you can make a part work (without spending gobs and gobs of money), then it's almost stupid, NOT to try it!
Again, great job! (now show pics)!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
that's cool Bob!!!! Getting a set that wasn't listed for your application and it turns out it worked for you, that's great.

Wish me luck when it's my turn in a few months: just picked up a set of Hookers #6208 swap header for a 351W in a 65-70 Mustang and I'm using them in my 78 Granada with the same engine topped with Canfield heads. I've had a look at them and it looks like they'll do the job, got no choice and I have to make them work without banging the tubes too much.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
wish mine were that easy. I just finished building the pass. side today, 75 maverick 351w/'glide. I wont do it again. Next time, a Mustang II front end will go in place.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts