Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got a chance to work on my car today and figure out what broke and was causing the front wheel to lock up. After using a slide hammer to get the drum off I was shocked at what I saw. The rear bonded brake shoe lining was detached from the shoe. The lining had spun around with the drum and wedged itself between the drum and the front shoe.

I have no idea what caused this as the brakes have never been over heated. All the brake hardware looks great and the drum looks good also. A new set of riveted brake shoes and I am on the road again.

Has anybody ever seen this happen before?? I never have and was curious as to how often it happens and why it happens.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Had bonded linings fail on my 63 Country Sedan on the front. Just changed them to rivited last month. They didn't come all the way off, but I had a click-click when I applied the brakes from the left front.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
That type of delamination is rare. I agree - on quality pads and shoes, heat is the killer and usually fractures the friction material rather than separate it. Since you're not towing a house, I'd have to assume a poor reman job. I use bonded almost exclusively, but I never get the economy grade stuff. Unfortunately, that's all some stores carry. Just to keep you paranoid, I have seen more riveted-shoe failures than bonded. They crack at the rivet hole and take chunks out. The up-side is that a full shoe separation is very rare, but then again so is your type of failure. Moral of the story - don't cheap-out (not saying you are). Buy the best you can afford or get and cut corners elsewhere if necessary. In that way, it won't matter what type you choose.

David

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I guess that this kind of problem is a little more common than what I had thought. Was thinking that going to the riveted shoes would solve this problem, but from what you are saying David, I would be better off sticking with the bonded type. Will be using only top shelf shoes from now on. I think the shoe that failed was just a economy set and had been on the car since the '80's or maybe early '90's.

David, is there a particular brand that you would recommend??

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
David, is there a particular brand that you would recommend??
No brand preference - just better than 'econo' grade of either bonded or riveted. I'll bet there are only two or three doing these shoes now. Raybestos, Bendix and maybe Wagner. In any case, you want 'pro' grade, or 'severe duty' or other premium rating. That does not include the factory 'heavy duty' term, specific to the brake type, such as Police/Taxi/Heavy Duty. You may have to order them in, but they should only be $10-20 more for the set. If you want to go bonkers, there are performance and racing sets available too. Perhaps 20-30% better braking for only the cost of your left nut.
:D
David

1 - 6 of 6 Posts