Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am new to engine building but have loved Mustang's for some time now. I have a 1994 Mustang GT, that burns about a quart of oil every month and i know it needs a rebuild and i was thinking. . .
I hear so much about how great and durable the 1970 BOSS 302 was. And i was wondering about whether you can bolt onto my 1994 302HO the cylinder heads from a BOSS 302 and build your engine around that? I know the cylinder heads were where the BOSS got most of it's power. But could someone school me on whether this is possible and if so what other things do you have to consider?
And one more thing, being a student i am certainly not rich, is this a really spendy way to go?

·
Registered
976 Posts
First of all you would have to get different headers and intake.These are really just good Cleveland heads.Totally different port configuration than your current heads and the pistons need some major valve reliefs also.Pretty much anything you have that bolts to your heads will not bolt to the boss ones.Great heads though.They flow for days.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Anythings possible but is it practicle.In my opinion you'd be better off building what you already have.To build a boss you'd need the heads(expensive)new pistons for the canted valves,different rods as they were shorter,different intake and exhaust manifolds, a good 4 barrel carb,etc,etc.By the time you were done you'd have a boss without a steel crank and a weaker block so running it at the rpm that it would work good at would be risky.With the aftermarket heads available for your engine today you can make more power for less money and still have something driveable when your done.While the boss was a great trans-am engine it wasn't the greatest street engine.Thats why it was only made for two years and replaced by the cleveland that had enough cubes to use them big heads

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response guys!

I figured it would be expensive but really wondered about the streetability and how much i'd really get from it. Good point too about how it was only made for two years too
I think i will just build up what i have. It's probably easiest on the wallet too

THanks for the advice

1 - 4 of 4 Posts