Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, say you had a chance to pick up either one of these engines for a project car. Which one would you pick and why and what modifications would you make to it and what kind of car would you put it in? C'mon, be creative, the two of 'em are sittin' side by side and you have to pick one over the other.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
I'd have to go with the cammer. It just oozes cool, and it makes great power to boot.

I'd have to drop it into a 67 F-100 shortbed, setup for street and strip. Black.

AS for mods, I'd have to go with a fuel injected twin turbo setup, in front of a well prepped c-4.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I think I'd pick the Boss '9, although it's a close call... granted they weren't 650hp from the factory like the Cammer, but I'm a sucker for the 385 series I guess.

edit: oh and as far as what I'd put it in? My '86 Bronco of course! Build it to make decent torque, but monster top-end power, stack type fuel injection, big roller cam, etc.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Motorhead on 12/9/06 4:53am ]</font>

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
If you want to go FAST, neither one. If you want to wow everybody at the car show, either one. The cammer probably has more of a nostalgic coolness, but the Boss 429 looks pretty cool as well.

I'm not saying either is slow, just that for the money invested, you can make a LOT more power and do it more reliably when taking advantage of around 40 years of development and technology. Money spent of those old engines is spent on 'nostalgia'. However, they ARE really cool, and will probably hold their value better than a new engine.

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Cammer, Cobra replica......

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
427, in a '54 Merc' Monterey convert.

Murff

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Without question, the cammer.
How cool is a 6-foot long timing chain?!!?

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Ooooohh, dbu8554 I like that idea... lately I've had it in the back of my head that I'd love to do a '63/64 Lincoln big bad cruiser someday... although my thoughts were more along the lines of a mild 430 MEL build with twin turbos and maybe EFI to wake it up

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Boss 429, race prep the rods and crank,ARP stud's EVERYWHERE, Balance the rotating assembly,MSD ignition system, Bud Moore box intake manifold with dual Bigs carbs....... I could go on but........ I'm out of clean shorts.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The 427 with a Weber style fuel injection system in the back of a 72 Pantera.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I think I would have to go for the Boss 429....and put it into my favorite car of all, the 71 Mustang fastback. I guess I would kind of want to make the car that Ford should have made in 71...would have been a nice companion to a Boss 351! Now as far as mods to it, I would probably have to stroke it out, and maybe a supercharger or two for fun

Mike

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Humphrey351 on 12/9/06 10:40am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
1,741 Posts
Boss 429 in a roadrace nascar chassis with a chopped 51 merc lead sled body. No one would ever suspect a 51 merc to corner. The motor would probibly be around 550+ inches in a big bore aftermarket block with some huge solid roller cam. For icing on the cake Id have to throw an individual runner FI setup on top.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Hey Marksm, How about in the back of a king cab ranger with the front of the motor sticking through the exrta cab and use the pantera transaxle. Might even handle too-

·
Registered
48 Posts
One concept I've had in my head since 79 is a Boss powered mid-engined Pinto Wagon.

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
The boss and I would put it in my mach 1. I wouldn't make it a boss clone either, just a mach 1 with a special engine under the hood to surprise people.

1969 Mustang Mach 1 4spd 351W, (temp)302
1997 Cobra RIP 4V Motor
1970 Dodge Charger R/T 440+6 4spd
2002 SVT Lightning, K&N, Trac bars, 555Rs

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 19mach69 on 12/10/06 3:51am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The SOHC is way up on the cooliosity scale and that 6 foot timing chain is pretty neat too, but I have to go with the Boss 429. I would Put the Boss in My '72 Country Squire and I'd fuel inject it w/ a Procharger. I can just imagine the looks at cruise night when an early 70's family truckster w/ that beautiful wood paneling pulls up with a powerplant like that.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: blown68 on 12/10/06 10:07am ]</font>

·
Registered
813 Posts
Actually, the 6 foot timing chain is the acheelies heel of the SOHC, the weak link, the most problem oriented piece on the motor.....why is it cool??

1 - 20 of 34 Posts