Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my nephews 91 LX Stang that just got a new 355 CHP dominator shortblock with TFS heads and intake.

They should be ready to "fire it up" in a day or two.

The federal express chick just dropped off the throttle body and some other stuff they needed to finish a couple minutes ago here.

I also posted some pics of another "Stang" guy from this area that runs a "blown 331".

Here are the pics.

65 Falcon Sprint "White Lightning 408-W"
66 Galaxie 500-XL 428 4-speed "XL-ERATOR"
95 F-350 XLT Super-Cab DRW 460

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DynoTom on 5/6/02 11:13pm ]</font>

·
Registered
749 Posts
355 ci wow thats pushing it for that little block
Cant wait to here how it runs. Looking good. Like to have the rad outa that blown 5.0

·
Registered
25 Posts
The blown car is a 306, not a 331. The car car really moves.

As for my car, it should be running a couple of days.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The car is almost ready.

By the way DON'T ever buy a pace setter off-road H-pipe. They dont fit right, and one of the O2 senser mount is in the wrong place.

How big of a stall converter would you run? Right now I have a 2400 B+M stall, but I don't think that is high enough. For some backround info, it has 3.73 gears, and will have about 500hp. Keep in mind this a street car.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ya, the 355 is a 302 block. Mine is a coast high performance stroker kit, but a couple of other places sell 355 kits. It's not very different than a 347.

The PMS management system, is like a second computer. You can adjust pretty much anything. There are 3 modes you can use. Like set everything for easy street driving, hard street driving, and pure racing, and save each one. So when you get to the track, all you have to do is hit a button,and your running a full race setup.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you expected the cheapest h pipe in the magazines to be absolutely perfect you should have your head examined!! You get what you pay for!! Maybe you should have spent the extra $50 and bought a good one. Another thing, how the H3ll do you get a 355 out of a 302 block?? Isn't that impossible?? I asked a few people and they haven't heard of that, ever! Tell us what you did to it? You can get a 355 from a 351 windsor but not a 302! You can maybe get a 354 from a 302 but thats about it. Are you mistaken?? or lying?

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
On 2002-05-08 10:18, 1bad86gt wrote:
If you expected the cheapest h pipe in the magazines to be absolutely perfect you should have your head examined!! You get what you pay for!! Maybe you should have spent the extra $50 and bought a good one. Another thing, how the H3ll do you get a 355 out of a 302 block?? Isn't that impossible?? I asked a few people and they haven't heard of that, ever! Tell us what you did to it? You can get a 355 from a 351 windsor but not a 302! You can maybe get a 354 from a 302 but thats about it. Are you mistaken?? or lying?
Yea dude chill out!

The 355 was almost "impossible" and "very hard" to get!

Yes, we had to make a "very hard" and "impossible" phone call to www.coasthigh.com in order to have them send a 355 stroked 302 shortblock to us.

Coast High Performance sells tons of strokers to the Ford 5-Liter crowd!

And the Pacesetter H-pipe should have fit better and should have had the 0-2 sensor in the right spot.

Making a mass produced h-pipe that fits is'nt rocket science,cheap or not they should have quality control!

There is a guy around here who bought mega buck BBK equal lenth tube headers for his truck (made to fit his truck) and they fit like crap too!

He paid close to $400.00 for the headers with ceramic coating from BBK and he had to really mangle them to even attempt to fit them on.

That's one thing I hate about the internet,there are always people who just type crap and don't respect the real racers.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
On 2002-05-08 10:18, 1bad86gt wrote:
Another thing, how the H3ll do you get a 355 out of a 302 block?? Isn't that impossible?? I asked a few people and they haven't heard of that, ever! Tell us what you did to it? You can get a 355 from a 351 windsor but not a 302! You can maybe get a 354 from a 302 but thats about it. Are you mistaken?? or lying?
See now that you know that http://www.coasthigh.com sells the 355 shortblocks don't you feel smarter than the guys you asked?

It's funny how when you find out your wrong about something after "ripping" on somebody who does know it, you generally never go back and say "that's cool now I know".

Whatever.

Kit Description Short Block
355 Dominator (302 Block) $3,395.99
4.030" Forged Probe Pistons (.927)
3.470" Forged Stroker Crank (2.100)
5.400" H-Beam Rods

65 Falcon Sprint "White Lightning 408-W"
66 Galaxie 500-XL 428 4-speed "XL-ERATOR"
95 F-350 XLT Super-Cab DRW 460

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DynoTom on 5/9/02 12:05am ]</font>

·
Registered
749 Posts
The 355 has been around along time actually.
I believe Probe built one awhile back before they merged with Coast High Performance and Pro Mustang Performance. A 350 chevy stroke and 5.4 rods must make for some short pistons
I have the "cheap" Pacesetter H pipe and it works fine....although Im not using the O2 senser bungs obviously(they are plugged)
I owned what was probably had the earlyest or may even have been the 1st "off road H pipe"....a 2 1/4 piece from FMS that wasnt even mandrel bent...installed it on my 90 5.0 right off the trailer(I ordered it new)...the H pipe was used. I got from a guy who had it on his 88 5.0 for about a year
. Ive also had an off road H pipe from BBK. One thing Ive seen is you must tighten the H pipe at the shorty header down evenly on both sides to get a leak free fit. Cant wait to here how the 355 works out.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
355s AND 357s have been out for nearly 15 years for the 302 block. They use to use a 351C crank and grind down the journals and counter weights. Has been an effective combo for the street but the "rod ratio" and oil ring in the pin bore is why it never go too popular. I personally would use one without fear of breaking or lack of oil control as long as the RPMs doesn't exceed what the puney main caps can handle or the HP produced doesn't exceed the "splitting block down the center" limit.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Man, I havent looked at this post recently. You would think before someone would say something like that, they would get their facts straight.
As for the H-pipe, I heard it was good from a couple of people, and it is good except for the o2 bungle was in the wrong place, but its fixed now!!!

It will be running tomarrow.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I will post some pictures of the finished product tomarrow.

Hey Dyno Tom I need the camera.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts