Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking with my dad about upgrading the '86 coupe(3.8L v6) I have sitting in my driveway, and while eventually I'd like to go with a 351, what would give me more power for less money, a nitrous kit(50/100/150 injectors, $200 something USD) or the engine(no idea how much it would cost, depends on where I can find it I guess)? Would I be able to run the 50 shot on the v6? What about the 100? I've also heard here and there that nitrous is bad etc, is there much truth to that? Like, if I'm using a shot here and there maybe two or three times in a week, at most, what are the chances that something will go wrong? Does nitrous generally cause slow degredation or catastrophic failure?

Am I correct in assuming that a nitrous kit designed for a carb. system will work on any carb. engine? If that's the case, that's the main reason why I was thinking of getting the nitrous *first*. I don't know too much about it, but I would assume that I wouldn't be wise to run the 150 on the v6, possibly not even the 100, but on the 351 would either/both of those be viable? Assuming that's true, the reasoning behind it is that $200USD now gets me 50-100 more hp when I need it, and then down the road the money for the engine gets me however much the hp difference is just on the block ALL the time, then I can add 100 or hopefully even 150 anytime I need it. I'm probably being far too optimistic though assuming I can run even 100 or higher on stock engine internals. Any suggestions/thoughts would help me out

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Flame suit on already.............
Nitrous/Naws, Nos, da juice, whatever you call it can pretty much be safely run on any engine, no matter size. State of tune/health is the most important factor.
I don't know much (or haven't heard much), about people hot rodding the 3.8's, but I wouldn't be afraid to toss on a little 50 hp kit. Just abide by all the instructions/rules, and don't take any shortcuts, and you'll be ok. ALL the nitrous kits come with a certain amount of OOPS factor built into them. (i.e. you really gotta step on your **** to screw your engine up, running lean, etc, if you follow the directions, and everything's working properly).......

I ran a dual stage bigshot NOS kit on my previous car for 3 years. Found out EVERY weak link the the suspension/drivetrain. Guaranteed. No engine problems whatsoever. But then again, I kind of build my own personal 'safety factor' into whatever engine/setup I"m putting together.

Go to other sites. There must be hundreds, (maybe thousands), of other sites/forums that people 'juice' v6 stangs, stock and otherwise.
Do your homework before you make any quick decisions.

Sorry for being so long.........

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a bunch for the info. That's pretty much what I figured(about it not screwing up unless you abuse it/install it wrong or whatever). I'm not really planning on doing anything to the v6 other than throwing the nitrous on it, I just figure it's a cheap upgrade that can be used on the v8 that I will inevitably put in the car anyway.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts