Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can you get just a crank balanced if your rods and pistons are already balanced or does it all have to be done together

·
Registered
120 Posts
You need piston weight, rod big end weight, bearing weight, rod small end weight, pin weight, lock ring weight, and rings weight. With those the crank can be balanced....

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
that's how I do it, I balance the rods and pistons to + - 1/10 gram then give the shop just one of everything along with the flywheel and balancer. Make sure they don't weld anything on your flywheel or balancer, I had my Clevor balanced and they wanted to weld wieght on the flywheel and balancer "I said no" put it on the crank! that way I can change the flywheel if needed.

Are thinking of balancing the rods yourself?

Good luck.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea i was thinking about doin that myself and maybe save some money...plus it would give me sumthin to do while im waiting for parts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
You guys bring up a good subject 'cause I was wondering if I have to remove the rings from my pistons to have things re-balanced or can I leave the rings on? I had to scrap my old crank and i'm getting another one so everything has to be re-balanced. Pistons and rings should not have to be touched...pistons were already balanced last time. Rods are getting resized so they will have to be re-balanced.

Sorry for the semi-hijack.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts