Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys (and gals) I just wanted to get some feedback on running braided lines. I've always done the standard steel or rubber lines, but for the Falcon project (putting a 4.6L in it) and I fgured that now would be the perfect time to "make the switch", since none of the stock lines will work. I guess the biggest questions I have are 1. How easy are they to work with? 2. Who makes the biggest bang for the buck? 3. Any do's and don'ts I should know 4. What AN fittings are used for different applications (brakes vs. AC, etc.)
Thanks guys for all your help!
Eric

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
I did the same thing when I put the new motor in my Falcon only on a smaller scale. I ran 1/4" aluminum tubing from the fuel cell to the front and needed a transition to -6 braided stainless to the mechanical pump. I also made a couple short pieces used on the coolant overflow can and the PCV line.

The hardest thing I found was cutting it. You can go on the internet and find several ways to do it but I still struggled to make clean cuts. What that means is you should probably figure out how much you're going to need and add some for bad cuts and/or other mistakes. I'm sure the people that do it all the time have it figured it out and have no problem, just not me. In the end it came out great and I love the look so it was worth the time, frustration and bleeding hands! Did I mention it's really sharp? I would probably buy a cutting tool made for that if I were doing it again but for my few short pieces I didn't.

I bought all my hose and fittings from Summit Racing. All good quality parts and materials too as expected.

One option you might want to look into is that new braded nylon covered hose. It's high pressure and oil/fuel rated and looks really nice. It's also light weight and heat resistant.

John

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I have -8AN fuel line on my '82GT that goes down to -6AN from the regulator to the carb. The fittings are easy but like 69falconlover said, the cutting is the hard part. My best advice to you would be to do what I did and buy an angle grinder and then buy the cutting wheels to use on it. The cutting wheels will go through the steel braids EASY and CLEAN. Just make sure you wrapped the spot where you want to make the cut in electricial tape or duct tape so you don't fray the ends. You could use a hacksaw but the angle grinder is much quicker and easier, plus you will then have a nice power tool that you can use for other projects.

I would also suggest to buy name brand fittings such as Earl's or Aeroquip. Stay away from the cheap Summit brand stuff.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Every line in my car is steel braided. Summit Racing brand is the best pricing I could find.

For cutting them use a concrete chisel and BFH. Set the line on a solid block of aluminium or brass. One or two hits and you have a clean cut without trash inside the line. I have done hundreds of braided lines and this is the only way to go.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Every line in my car is steel braided. Summit Racing brand is the best pricing I could find.

Because Summit brand sucks.

Summit brand= generic brand

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
What problems did you have with it?

David

If I remember correct(it's been awhile) but I think I had troubles with fitting the ends on the lines. I do remember sending them all back and getting Earl's and then had no issues with their ends. It's not just the ends though, I had a Summit fuel filter and when I went to replace the cartridge, i'st cardboard ends had disintegrated and made a mess inside the filter housing. It kinda reminded me of a Fram oil filter inside.

I know many people swear by the Summit brand and had success with their products but maybe it's just certain products they make that aren't as good. To me, Summit brand is like the Wal-mart brand...cheaply made, low cost product. What hose ends do you think John Force uses?

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
To me, Summit brand is like the Wal-mart brand...cheaply made, low cost product. What hose ends do you think John Force uses?
Indeed, they have some of that, and I imagine it changes from day-to-day. As far as John Force - he will use whatever the sponsor has him use. ;) At last count, that was Aeroquip. Who knows what it is today. Just as an FYI, I have not used any Summit hose or ends lately so I can't say about those; but we found the $4 fittings-by-the-bucket on FleaBay to work just fine, with no leaks, issues or failures with any of them so far, using surplus AN hose. My son received a box of them to try for his turboracer, and they've worked well enough, I'm going to try some on the Power
Ranger.
:tup:
David

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
I've had some issues with summit products also.

I think it was a name brand braided line and summit fittings since they were cheaper And there was a issue fitting them together without leaking. Bought the name brand fittings. No more leaks.

Bought a summit brand Lokar knock-off gas pedal, it was junk. Sent it back for the Lokar. No problems with it.

I can't complain about the summit radiators though.

Jet

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I've had some issues with summit products also.

I think it was a name brand braided line and summit fittings since they were cheaper And there was a issue fitting them together without leaking. Bought the name brand fittings. No more leaks.

Bought a summit brand Lokar knock-off gas pedal, it was junk. Sent it back for the Lokar. No problems with it.

I can't complain about the summit radiators though.

Jet

Yep, now that you said that, I think that was my problem too with the Summit ends. Now, I just spend a few bucks more for the name brand stuff.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have at least 50 summit fittings and line on my few toys. Never had one assembly leak, fitment issue, or failure. Some brands are a little easier to put together but the summit ones work great.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
Summit isn't stupid. Returns, defects and dissatisfied customers cost them money. Chances are, if they had issues with a supplier, they changed by now. That said - if they change suppliers again for better pricing, issues may arise again. Like the FeeBay ones, I would probably give them a shot if I was in a project that wasn't pressed for time. Otherwise, pay more for the insurance, but no guarantees. I've only had a couple issues in the last 20 years, but one was Russels and one was Aeroquip. Whoda thunk?

David

·
Premium Member
3,669 Posts
dont know whats going on with your images David.....
But they are multipling like rabbits.....

·
Premium Member
3,669 Posts
picture in post #13 ....acting crazy.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts