Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello...I'm looking to run braided transmission lines from the transmission to the radiator. Turning into a major pain in the neck, trying to find lines and the correct ends. It's a 66 mustang that I am restoring, with a C4 tranny. Any help on the correct fittings and a place to buy them and the lines would be GREATLY appreciated!

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
The most evasive fitting is the one that goes into the C4 case, which is 1/8" NPS/BSPP straight thread with O-ring or gasket. It is NOT NPT tapered. ⚠ Do not use an NPT tapered thread fitting as it can either leak, or crack the case if tightened to stop a leak. ⚠

NPS-to-JIC/AN nipple with O-ring gasket
You can use the original C4 SAE 45° flare/seat fittings, with an adapter to AN/JIC 37° fittings (braided line). Or, directly from the 1/8" NPS threads to AN/JIC. The first random search result I found for that last combo is here as 9005-06-02 - 3/8" Male JIC x 1/8" Male BSPP - Steel, or here on FleaBay, which would connect to JIC 3/8 or -6 AN, for example. I don't know either seller. Also found at sources like McMaster, Grainger, your local hydraulic shop ;), etc. The JIC or AN fitting can be any angle needed.

On the other end, most coolers are NPT tapered (verify!), so JIC or AN to NPT, and is easier to find. Note the pressures are typically 15 to 50 psi, and I've rarely seen up to 85 real-world. Any tubing or hose that will take oil and your heat could do.

Braided is sexy, complies with fire-resistance for some racing rules, but be aware it is not completely heat-resistant if it comes close to exhaust or other extreme heat source; meaning it can help for abrasion but may only delay failure of the rubber lining if the line touches the exhaust, etc, — and you can't see the damage under the braiding.

Alternatives such as steel or easy-bend copper/nickel alloy are fire/heat-resistant, though heat-shielding is suggested near extreme heat to protect the fluid inside (shown in previous posts by others). Non-racing can use universal "transmission cooler line" or various low-pressure hydraulic hoses from local sources or online, with the usual cautions of heat sources like braided. Just throwing stuff out there for ideas and comparisons of what you are doing, why, and what it might mean to you, hoping it is helpful. It's your project; do your thing! :cool:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello...I'm looking to run braided transmission lines from the transmission to the radiator. Turning into a major pain in the neck, trying to find lines and the correct ends. It's a 66 mustang that I am restoring, with a C4 tranny. Any help on the correct fittings and a place to buy them and the lines would be GREATLY appreciated!
You can also use copper tubing as there isn't too much pressure

1 - 7 of 7 Posts