Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 63 Galaxie has an unknown brake booster setup. Previous owner cobbled together some misc parts during a front disc conversion. I am now in the middle of a motor swap and Wilwood front/rear disc conversion but was attempting to retain the booster/MC.

My problem is that the pentroof valve covers on the new motor are clashing with the existing booster by at least 1/2".
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Gas Auto part

I could possibly change out the valve covers, but I'm afraid anything shorter may interfere with the T&D valvetrain. Or I could have the valve cover cut and clearanced, but again I'd have to careful about the valvetrain. I've also considered hydroboost but am trying to avoid the added cost right now. So I think my first two preferred options would be:

1) Find a booster bracket that raises the booster a couple inches (I've been told to look for an OEM bracket from a 64 Gal w/power brakes because it raises the booster a bit, but am having a tough time finding one).

or

2) Figure out a manual brake solution that will work for my Wilwood 4 wheel disc kit.

Does anyone have any insight on either of these two options?

·
Administrator
22,127 Posts
You could pick up a booster from another vehicle at a junkyard or ebay. I believe even a 70 or so F150 works. Maybe too a mustang, if their booster is smaller. That booster bracket is sure out there a long ways too. If closer it would probably clear the end of the VC. It might of been a junkyard find also or could even be an after market from a local parts store. I know others have had this same issue and can better give you some ideas though. Me I'd say either find a smaller booster or maybe it's possible to find a shallower booster bracket.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
With the 32 valve engine in my 67 I had the same problem. I converted to Hydro Boost which worked out and has good assist for the 4 wheel disc brakes I have. I might be wrong but I recall seeing those valve covers with a “dimpel” where the booster is mounted. The raised booster brackets have a linkage that decreases the pedal assist.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts