Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i really want to put front disc brakes on my front end. new kits cost anywhere from 1000 - 2000 bucks. is there a junkyard solution that i can do to get disc brakes off a junkyard car and do a transplant? i got a 4.5 inch bolt pattern as you all prolly are well aware of and drum brakes all around. any makes models years etc of donor cars would be helpfull or should i just start saving and cancel christmas

·
Registered
981 Posts
Pretty much any car from the late sixties to late seventies will be good, prime ones bieng 77-79 t-birds and some torino's from 74-79? maybe? I went with the 78 bird and everything went smooth as far as bolting it to my 64. I haven't completed but am sure it'll be o.k. A booster master cylinder donor would be a early eighties crown vic, a direct bolt on if I'm not mistaken. Cars to stay away from, but will work are very large Lincolns and such as they have 5.5" bolt circle. There were a few cars that had that. I'm curious to know if early eighties crown vics would be a source for everything, especially on a 65? They called them LTD's but made six billion of them, not very limited so finding one may prove easy. Try them for everything.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
You will need new wheels (after market of off of the disc brake car) for the front of your 65 as the drum brake wheels have a smaller diameter hole in the middle of the wheel compared to the larger disc brake hub.

I used 72 Torino spndles and disc brakes on my 66 Galaxie 500

·
Registered
583 Posts
I just bought a disc conversion for my 64 for $399.00,it uses your exsisting spindles.It comes with everything but the master cylinder and proportioning valve.I got it from a place called "Rod and Customs".

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 347LX on 6/13/06 7:35am ]</font>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts