Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't remember when I'd last done the front brakes on the Galaxie, so yesterday I was planning on buying shoes and a hardware kit. Not much problem on the shoes (11" x 2.5" for non-police, taxi, wagon, etc.). But I couldn't find the hardware kits even listed at my local parts stores or RockAuto. Autozone, O'Reilly, and NAPA had nothing listed for hardware kits, front or rear. Advance Auto listed two kits, 7075 and 17456, but both had a note they might not fit (and no listing of what those kits are supposed to fit). RockAuto didn't have anything for the fronts, and for the rears, you have to kind of piece it together. They had a rear hold down kit, and a rear return springs kit.

I checked Raybestos and couldn't find anything listed. On Carlson's site, they list a Custom 500 (no Galaxie), and for that they list part numbers H7107 for the front kit and H7101 for the rear. I see Raybestos has kits with the same numbers, but when I Google H7107 or H7101, it looks like these kits are for 1965 and newer.

I'm wondering if the same kits work on older years (1964, 1963, etc.) and the auto stores just quit listing the applications for these older years, or if the earlier ones really use different kits? Does anyone have any old paper catalogs for brake parts? Do the books list the same hardware kits for 1964 as for 1965 as later? If not, what do they have as part numbers for the 1964 and earlier? I'm talking about the kits that have the return springs, hold down springs, adjuster and cable, pins, U shaped clip, etc.

Anyway, I pulled one of the front hubs to check and it turns out the brakes have plenty of wear left and the springs look good. I'm just going to clean and pack the wheel bearings and put antisieze on the adjuster and button it back up for now, but still it would be good to know for the future.

Thanks,

Pat

·
Administrator
21,922 Posts
It's been a long while since i bought anything like that. The kits were available at that time. Hardest thing I had getting was the self adjuster cable for the rear many moons ago. Maybe I need to get a couple to keep on hand!

I would think the custom would be the same though.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would think the custom would be the same though.
Thanks. Yeah, that's what I thought too, but going the other direction (looking up the two kit part numbers to see what they fit), it only showed them being for 1965 and later. I might still buy one of each and compare the contents to what's on my car already. I thought an older book might confirm those two kits really work on anything back to the '50s but the manufacturers just don't bother to call out the old applications anymore.

Pat

·
Registered
63 Galaxies 500 XL, 462 stroker, factory 4speed
7 Posts
Budsclassiccars.com . 860-738-BUDS (2837)
This guy is great, reasonable prices, fast shipping, ready free advice. Deals only in 63 and 64 Galaxie stuff. I've bought lots of stuff from him over the last couple years.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I think Mac's has the kits as well. I was just a little surprised that local stores and especially Rock Auto didn't list them anymore.

Pat

1 - 7 of 7 Posts