Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a '64 Hardtop Thunderbird that was partially restored in the late 90's and pretty much has been sitting ever since. I got the engine running after cleaning out the old gas and rebuilding the carb, then had the master cylinder and booster rebuilt--so the car runs and stops. Unfortunately, the brake lights don't work, which is keeping me off the road.

With a foot on the pedal, I can hear and feel the brake relay clicking, which seems to indicate that the switch at the cylinder is good and there is power to the relay. It there any way to test the relay, to ensure that it is working, or does the clicking mean that it's sound and I should be looking downstream for loose or broken wires?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
12V at the swich, and again at the relay, so that's all good. When I first looked at the relay, it was getting dark, so I didn't see that it was held together with some really old. electrical tape.

I took it off, and inside it is a rusty mess. Pretty sure a replacement will solve the issue. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No need to check, but thanks! I ordered a replacement from Bird's Nest.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Installed the new relay yesterday, re-using the old harness for the moment. With the new piece, brake lights work perfectly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts