Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! New and proud 64 galaxie 500xl coupe owner and lifelong admirer. I am having an issue where my brake lights stay on permanently even when the car is off and the keys are out of the ignition. I am manually unplugging the rear lights to keep the battery from draining out. This morning I started the car to go for a cruise and they were off. I pushed the brake and they went on and off as they should but it was short lived. They were stuck on again after a few minutes.

Any help would be more than appreciated.

Thank you

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sounds like your switch is sticking. I believe it is on the pedal (it is on my 65 anyway). Some older cars had a switch on the MC, but I'm pretty sure the pedal is where you'll find it. These are the same as Mustang brake switches where the pushrod to the M/C or booster depresses a spring-loaded plunger to actuate the brake lights. Maybe corroded from years of sitting and sticking in position. A little penetrating oil might do the trick.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you both. I found it on the MC and disconnected the two wires. The brake lights went out.

I assume this means I need to order a new switch for 10 bucks on macs..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Went to Autozone and screwed it on. Worked like a champ! Thank you everyone for taking the time

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hold On before buying a new brake light switch. It might be working exactly as it's supposed to. I had exactly the same problem on my 63 ½ and the reason the switch was telling the brake lights to come on (and they are wired hot whether the ignition is on or not) is because there is residual brake fluid pressure in the system (and it's a pressure actuated switch) which means the brakes are being applied slightly, even though you are not even in the car. Depending on how much pressure there is, you might notice that your brakes seem to be dragging, and in my case, they would get progressively worse. But after stopping the car and time elapses, the pressure bleeds off and your brake lights go out. Try pulling the brake pedal back with your foot and see if the lights go out. This subject was covered in great detail here just a few months ago and perhaps one of us can find it so you can read up on various solutions some of which were to adjust the master cylinder pushrod length or in my case, and several others (Norm in Minnesota was one I remember) fitting a return spring to the brake pedal under the dash to insure the pedal returns all the way. See if that isn't the reason you have the situation you do. Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Your input is not wasted good sir! That would explain why it worked intermittently and time will tell now with the new part if the issue comes back with the brake Fluid pressure building back up. Thanks for the heads up! If it starts happening again I will bring it back to the thread

jason

1 - 12 of 12 Posts