Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I regularly back my car against the garage at night to make sure I have all my lights. Last night I stepped on the brakes and no lights. Jumped pass the switch and they work fine. Changed the switch and they work but only under a lot of pressure. So under normal lite pressure, they don't work. Is this supposed to use a lighter pressure switch[if there is such a thing] or may I be having issues with the MC? Maybe the port is clogged? Is there a high volume IF I stepped on the brakes with no switch to maybe blow it out and IF I were to do this on my own, will it pull air into the system after I release the pedal?
Thanks for your time and any suggestions,
Karl.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Which kind of switch are we talking about? A pedal mounted mechanical, or a M/C mounted pressure type switch?

·
Registered
576 Posts
I regularly back my car against the garage at night to make sure I have all my lights. Last night I stepped on the brakes and no lights. Jumped pass the switch and they work fine. Changed the switch and they work but only under a lot of pressure. Did you change it for a new one, or another used one? So under normal lite pressure, they don't work. Is this supposed to use a lighter pressure switch[if there is such a thing]Nope, one switch for all. or may I be having issues with the MC?Not likely if the brakes work good Maybe the port is clogged? Not likely. Is there a high volume IF I stepped on the brakes Yeswith no switch to maybe blow it out and IF I were to do this on my own, will it pull air into the system after I release the pedal?Yes.
Thanks for your time and any suggestions,
Karl.
See notes above in red. Check grounds and connections, but its probably still the switch. Pretty easy to change over to a BL switch on the pedal that works with movement of the pedal.

Pressure switchs can be aggravating..I'v had some that worked great, and some that no matter what I did I never got lites consistantly with a light pedal.

·
Registered
924 Posts
When I revived my 61 after her 32 year slumber the pressure switch for the brake lite took quite a bit of pressure to activate. Had people coming up to me all the time telling me I had no brake lites doing normal stops. I replaced the switch and it is much better but still requires a bit of pressure to come on. Doesn't give people behind much warning that I am starting to apply the brakes.
Mike

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
LOL.. yeah had the same problem with my Dads 61 thing is he had went thru the brake system and you would SWEAR it has discs, it stops that well, and a finicky pressure switch is the chits. ( i wired a push button switch up to it and mounted it on the steering wheel...) lol

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hate setting at a light minding my own bussiness and having someone pull up a long side and yell that I have no brake lights. Half the time it scares the piss out of me. Because they are relatively inexpensive, easy to install and mine is a fairly old single MC, I think I will change the MC and the switch. IF it is still a problem or becomes one again, I will switch to the under the dash style. Just curious. I am going with a NEW MC, does anyone else feel uncomfortable with the guarenteed professional rebuilds? Rebuilds are about half the price but with mine still the single, I just feel more comfortable with a new one. I could only find one listing, is there a MC for power brakes? I could only find the one listed and it didn't say that it was for either power or non.

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
Heck, with the big housings and lenses on the '67's I've had folks pull up beside me during the day and tell me my rear brake lights were out when they were working fine. :D

·
Registered
84 Posts
We had a similar problem, so replaced switch on brake pedal. I thought the lights were still sorta dim so actually added another light into the rear of the brake light housing. I now have noticeable bright brakes:)
HTH
Tim
65 Gal

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
There are bad switches that WORK and bad switches that DON'T work...

Get a new one.
And a QUALITY one! Stay away from the box stores. STANDARD or NIEHOFF.

Oh... And do a visual on those fancy LED 1157 replacement bulbs. That should help in seeing them.
You may have to rewire and/or clean the ground(s). How old is the car?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts