Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know off the top of their heads the length and diameter of the brake line from front to rear? Dearborn doesn't mention either.
Napa online says they have it but they only have lengths and diameters to go by. Unless thier book at the store has that info.

Deb

·
Registered
981 Posts
The diameter is 3/16" and the length I went with 20 ft of stainless to do the entire brake line deal. It was very expensive, double the amount 3/8" stainless was for the gas lines- whatever that's all about.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 64GALAXIE514 on 9/13/06 12:06pm ]</font>

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. They get ya one way or another don't they.

If I can just add a length at the end of the line I'll be good. The line is good except the part we screwed up. When trying to disconnect the line from the frame end instead of the "nut" turning it twisted the whole thing and put a hole in it.
I've heard people talk about the brake line being in the frame or was that the fuel line? Mine is attached to the frame so maybe they were talking fuel.
The typical old car domino effect, in the process of fixing one thing another gets broke.

deb

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I checked out Classic Tube, boy they are spendy or do you get more than just the front to rear line? I couldn't find a description of what the "kit" included.

Deb

·
Registered
322 Posts
I did the brake lines for my '62 with new lines from Advanced Auto. I just bought the pre flared type that connected with a union. I got the closest to the lengths I needed and put them together. I don't think I spent $50 to do the all the hard lines on the car. You do need some patience and a good pipe bender but I didn't find it that hard.

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dearborn is about $80 with the over size charge for the one front to rear. But think I will check out the zone and see what they have. I was looking online and prices weren't bad. Obviously I don't care if they are exact replicas just as long as it works.

I forgot to call the hobby shop on base also and see what tools they have for bending and such. I'll call them tomorrow and find out.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Garreett0 andbrentville , how did you guys bend the lines under the steering box ?

My line to the rear is leaking and is all stripped. I think im gonna run 2 new lines with a union.

Also, did you guys start at the M.C end and run em to the back ? . . .. . . .. i need a little tech on this :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts