Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 68 302 mustang coupe automatic with disc in the front drum in back i need a new break line to the rear but i dont know which break line i should buy so if you could please help me then u should i am knew to this i am 14 and just got my first car and i am super excited but i need help.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I would recommend since this is your first time with a brake line to take the old one off first. Take it down to a local repair shop and have them bend you a new one. This will get you what you need and back on the road faster. Brake lines are easy to make if you have the correct tools and any repair shop should be able to do it for you.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
...or...

You can just plumb in a repair section (available at any parts store).

INLINE TUBING should have the exact replacement line available.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Which rear brake line you need? the one on the rear end, (theres 2), the rubber one from the frame mounted line to the rear end, or the one from dist block to rear of car?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From what I understand it's a one price from the front to the back isn't it? It is kinked at the front (like where the break line screws in at the front) so is it more than one price or what? And how hard is it going to be to take the break line out?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I would recommend since this is your first time with a brake line to take the old one off first. Take it down to a local repair shop and have them bend you a new one. This will get you what you need and back on the road faster. Brake lines are easy to make if you have the correct tools and any repair shop should be able to do it for you.
And brake line isn't expensive, either.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
If you are up to the task you can buy it by the piece or roll and make your own. The initial cost will be more but if you have to change more than one it will pay for its self at some point.
I make up at least 30 feet a week for customers cars and trucks. We are in the salt belt they rust like crazy. I now use AAS Copper Nickel Line CN-316 3/16" X 25' : Amazon.com : Automotive on most repairs. Very easy to work with and it does not rust.
I use this tool now and a perfect flare can be made in 7 or 8 seconds.Save on SUR&R Auto Parts - FT351 at ToolTopia.com
You would as least need this one. Michigan Industrial Tools MIT Tool 10 piece Double Flaring Tool Set - product summary - Bing Shopping
Lest us know how it works.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Would it just be easier to order one from mustangs unlimited?

I have there magazine but it's got all these different ones for a specific year and I don't know which one I should get. For instants it says
"68-69 V8 manual drum, 9 rear axle, w/ 28-spline"

What does all that mean, like how do you know if it's a manual drum or what the rear axle thing means and then what's the "spline" what does all that stuff mean?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Buying a preformed line is easier, but much more costly. And you get satisfaction of doing it yourself!

Manual drum- this means manual drum brakes all the way around. Manual brakes don't have a power booster to assist like modern cars.

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
I would recommend since this is your first time with a brake line to take the old one off first. Take it down to a local repair shop and have them bend you a new one. This will get you what you need and back on the road faster.

I agree. You will be plenty challenged just taking the old one down, especially if it is cold outside and dark under that car and you have to keep running to the autozone for PB blaster, brake wrenches and whatnot.

After you get it off you can decide if you want to mail-order one or, like gbic1 suggests, have someone make it for you. Either way, you don't want to make a career out of pipefitting, you want to get back on the road, am I right?

Is there a chance the one you've got can be repaired?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
HERE is the needed line from Mustangs Unlimited

my DAMN post didnt post I guess... had posted it like an hour ago.... GRRRRRRRRR

No I wouldnt try to make your own BRAKE lines. Buy it premade and install it. You can 'practice' on less life threatening parts.

M2C

MRO

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh and hey Mroldfart2U how should I know which one to buy, like I said earlier there are so many different ones for a specific model and the axle and spline and stuff and I have no clue what spline means.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts