Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving on the FWY Tuesday when I needed to step on the brake kinda fast (not "stomp" fast, just a little fast) when the pedal went down pretty low and just stayed there. I pried it up with my foot and then the brakes worked and have worked fine ever since. It scared the heck out of me. Can any of tell me why it did that?

Also, Im looking for a drivers side exhaust manifold for my 390 motor on my 64 Galaxie for cheap (cause I dont have a lot of money right now). I live in the LA California area.

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
G9, you are going to need a new Master Cylindar like righ tnow or very soon.

What happened is this: The Brake's rubber piston collapsed and allowed the fluid to flow around it and caused it to fail. This is NOT good.
The reson it did not come back up by it's self is because there was no fluid in front of the piston pushing the brake components out and pressing back on the pedal which sort of hydraulically locked it there until you physically pulled it up.

This can happen again at any time and one time it will totally fail to work causeing untold damages to you or the car or someone else.

PLEASE get it rebuilt or replaced asap.

FE

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
NO NO NO NO NO it CANT!

When the pedal goes to the floor with very little or no resistance it is TIME to replace it now. The Vac. Booster ONLY assists the pedal in downward movement and the only diffrence if the booster went bad would be a HARDER to push pedal...

DO not endanger your life or others with Faulty equipment!

Sorry to be so abrupt but I like people, some are my customers and some are relatives and some are even friends... I don't want ANY of them hurt.

FE

·
Registered
309 Posts
I had this happen to me once on my way to work and it was the worst feeling I've ever had. I did the pulling the pedal up with my foot things as well, but I lost all brakes. FALCONAROUND is spot on with the piston being bad. Mine was toast.

you need to take FALCONAROUND's advice and replace/rebuild that master c before you go anywhere.

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
I have to argue about the "the only diffrence if the booster went bad would be a HARDER to push pedal...", that isn't true either. Sometimes the booster can be bad and suck that pedal right to the floor and no toes or anything else is going to pull it back up til the car is shut off. So although it's most likely the master cylinder, don't rule out the booster totally. I would go with the master cylinder first though.

Deb

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I've never seen a booster suck the pedal down and not stay bad Deb... That's why I didn't mention it

FE

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
Well i can tell ya mine did! I didn't know what the problem was with the thing and tried to pull that sucker off the floor and it wasn't going nowhere. Changed boosters and the problem was gone. Chances are it's probably the master but keep the booster in mind also just in case.
My booster was leaking and had water in it. It was a mess.

Deb

1 - 9 of 9 Posts