Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody. Huge problem. I've tried everything I can think of, along with everything everbody I know can think of. I have a massive steering wheel jerk/pull to the right when I brake. I thought this was simple, but it is not. I bought my '67 Galaxie and checked the front brakes. I repacked the wheel bearings, and replaced the shoes, because the shoes were worn out. This was the start. I have access to a lift/hoist and an alignment rack. I have replace all the front brake parts, except the hard lines. I have new drums, shoes, hold-down hardware, adjusting hardware, wheel cylinders, and hoses. Everytime I have had it in the air, I have inspected everything and adjusted the L/F and R/F drag on the shoes to match each other. Car pulls right hard. If I take all the drag out of the R/F, there is still a brake pull to the right, but it is not as severe. I am lost. I have aligned the front end and rechecked the alignment numerous times. The alignment is dead on perfect. I checked it again today. I am starting to think the brake fluid distribution valve may be a problem, but I don't know. Somebody had the brake lamp circuit unplugged, because the light stays on at all times, but I don't know why. The front brake hoses were replaced today, thinking one was collapsing, because the alignment was fine. When I bled the front, everthing seemed normal with plenty of pressure at both sides. I don't know anymore. I don't even have a guess anymore. I know a disc brake swap would probably solve all my misery, but I can't afford it right now. Any answers or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am not new to front drum brakes, but maybe something is slipping past me. The shoes are on correctly. I rechecked today. Long shoe in the back, short shoe in the front. I'm lost. Thanks again for any help.

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
I don't have the Ford Service Manual for your car in front of me, but I seem to recall some of them had a Y-block on the fronts that has a special bleeding procedure by pulling a spring-loaded pin on it. Check your manual. Also pull the wheel cylinder dust caps and verify the two fronts have the same bore (I've seen weird stuff) and none of the 4 front pistons are stuck (hold pedal and you should be able to shift the pistons back and forth with firm hand pressure on the shoes). Shoes are clean, right?

If no issues there, I'd hook a gauge and see how the actual pressure is on both sides and work towards the restriction. Drum brakes can work very well when all is right. If it's a pressure issue, discs would have the same problem.

David

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
You most likely have a restriction in the brake lines. Rust in the steel lines is common. Pull them off and clean them out or replace them.

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
You don't have the shoes reversed on one side do you. Jim

·
Administrator
21,676 Posts
Have you tried holding down the pedal for a little bit when you drive off to see if it might be moisture in the shoes? My previous set of brake shoes were my first experience with that and first few times i used the brakes it would yank the wheel right out of my hand like someone sticking a broom handle in the bicycle spokes. After a few times it would be fine so i started riding the brakes for a little ways when i first left the house. If that doesn't fix it then i would guess an obstruction. I'm not familiar on the brake light thing for '67 but have heard it mentioned before just don't remember what the issue was. Have you tried searching the forum for brake light or a search term similar?

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
You most likely have a restriction in the brake lines. Rust in the steel lines is common. Pull them off and clean them out or replace them.

Can you set the wheel to spinning and step on the brake and see if the left one stops? If the car pulls right, the restriction or faulty brake will be on the left.

When you bleed them, do you get a good stream on the left? With the drums off can you see the shoes working when someone steps on the pedal?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everybody for posting replies. The different opinions are helpful and stimulates thinking outside the box. I have narrowed down a few things. The pull is not moisture. It occurs all the time even after the brakes are warmed up. It is not shoes on backwards. I have checked this numerous times and consulted the manual to make sure they are on correct. The pressure restriction to the L/F seems to be a good possibility. The left side brakes work, with the drum off, but I don't know how quickly with the drums on under pressure. I get a steady stream of fluid when bleeding, but not sure if pressure is weak. I think I'm going to remove the L/F line from the distribution block to the hose and replace it. It is a short line, so if I can get it off it should be easy to fabricate. I did look up the bleed procedure in the manual and there is a re-centering of the distribution block valve which should cure the light problem. Thanks again for the great information. It is very helpful.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello again everybody. I removed and replaced the L/F hard line from the brake fluid pressure differential valve to the L/F wheel cylinder hose. I re-bled all the brakes, adjusted the drag on the front shoes to approx. equal on left and right and road tested. Same exact problem. Hit the brakes and the car turns right. I backed off the drag all the way on the R/F shoes, and the pull is less severe, but is still there. I am lost again. I don't think I have a L/F pressure restriction anymore if I did before. Could the L/F wheel cylinder be lazy or binding even though it is new? Any more help or thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
What about the steel lines from the block to the hoses?

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
Could the L/F wheel cylinder be lazy or binding even though it is new?
... Also pull the wheel cylinder dust caps and verify the two fronts have the same bore (I've seen weird stuff) and none of the 4 front pistons are stuck (hold pedal and you should be able to shift the pistons back and forth with firm hand pressure on the shoes).
David

·
Registered
186 Posts
I doubt this is the fix but wanted to chime in. I made the mistake when i redone my drums by installing two large pads on one side and two small pads on the other. I think someone mixed them up from the parts store and I just opened boxes and started installing. Everything did go on pretty ease. One side was a little tougher. Once again you sound like you would have already checked this but wanted to share my mistake.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I had a mustang at the shop a few years ago with a similar problem but pulled left severely when braking. Pretty much went through the same process's you are going through.

It ended up being the shoes themselves. The left shoes physically grabbed the drum more aggressively then the right. I warrantied the shoes out, and reinstalled a new set (take extreme caution in not to get ANYTHING on the shoe surface) and my problem was gone and had a extremely happy customer. I physically could not see a difference left to right in the shoes. Even holding them in my hand side by side they looked the same. I had triple checked everything, replaced damn near everything, did the alignment as you did etc...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi again. I wanted to post again and thank everybody for their advice and ideas on the brake pull. Last week I disassembled all the front brakes again. I checked the L/F and R/F wheel cylinder bore diameters as suggested. Both are the same. I had the drums machined and bought another new set of brake shoes. Somebody mentioned checking the idler arm, and the idler arm had up and down play in it. When I moved it up and down, I could see the R/F backing plate move (back inward and front outward). Somebody said this could cause a pull. Saturday, I installed a new idler arm, installed the new shoes, and the freshly machined drums. I set the drag on the fronts, and also bled all four wheel cylinders again. On Sunday, I reinstalled the front wheels and road tested. Brakes are working perfect. Plenty of pedal, and stopping power with no pulling at all! I don't know what fixed the problem, or if it was a combination of all things, but at this point it does not matter. I just wanted to make sure everybody here was thanked for their help. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Holy cow, I would have given up. Great job 67xl.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts