Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might be a stupid question but I've never changed drum brakes before. I put all the new shoes on and pressed the brakes with the drum off and only one shoe seems to move, is this how is suppose to be? I checked the other side and that I did not change and it did the same. I just bought the car and the brakes were horrible so I was curious if this was normal.

Thanks!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Yes that is fairly normal, the shoe with the least resistance will move before the other. I would suggest that you do NOT press the brake pedal though with the drum off, certainly not more than once as you will blow the wheel cylinders apart. If you changed the wheel cylinders you are probably fine, if you did nothing to them, there is always the possibility that one of the pistons is seized up. Anytime you do drum brakes you should either rebuild the wheel cylinders using a brake hone and new seals, or just replace them completely. You can tell if they might be leaking by peeling back the boot. If there is any fluid in there, then you need to rebuild or replace.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts