Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm about to convert to fron discs and install a brakebooster, i have a brakebooster, but i can't install it without doing some modifications .. what booster and master cylinder should i use on a 71 mach1 ?

Thanks

·
Registered
237 Posts
i would get one for a 71 mustang. not sure if you have to change to a power brake pedal or if the manual and power pedal are the same for that year. others should know that.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, i have a manual transmission so the pedal should be the same.

What i'd realy like is the ford partno that should be stamped on the brakebooster that i should use (and the mastercylinder)

btw. anyone knows how musch less brake pressure rear drums should have compared to the discs ? since i couldent get hold of an original proportioning valve i had to buy one from wilwood, but thatone has knob on it so i have to adjust it myself ..

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hm, they dont have an email address...

i have these numbers from my mastercylinder and booster, can anyone look them up for me ? i have tried to find them on the net but no luck ..

mastercylinder: 200 222709
booster: 3096688 7819

it would be grat to know what kind of car they should be on ..

Thanks

·
Registered
283 Posts
You will need a booster and master cylinder from a 71-73 Mustang with power discs. The pedal is different for power and non-power applications. The stud for the pushrod is in a different location by @ 2". If you can only find an automatic power pedal assembly, just trim the pedal pad down to the same size as your manual brake pedal. Use a cut=off wheel or a hacksaw/sawz-all.

http://www.Advanceautoparts.com lists a booster and master cylinder setup for a 71 Mustang for $127, part # 50-3402 by A1-Cardone. There is also a good pic of it there as well.

The power booster has 4 studs on the back. Your pedal support has 4 nuts welded to the inside to accept the bolts for the master cylinder and the seal plate. You will have to drill out these nuts, or get a power brake pedal support for a manual trans car, as the automatic unit does not have the clutch pedal pivot supports installed. I think I used a 3/8" drill to drill out the threads on one of the cars I converted to power brakes.

If you can't find the pedal locally, I have an automatic power brake pedal for sale. I also have used boosters, prop valves and master cylinders.

Also, the 71 and 72-3 cars used a different master, the only difference being the size of the line nut on the front port of the master. Keep this in mind when ordering brake parts and lines.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Hemikiller on 5/29/02 12:47am ]</font>

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks hemi, i found the pic i was looking for

and i think it will be Alot easyer to fit this type of booster than the one i have (from a 69)...

but what about the brakepedal ? what exactly is the difference in them ? is it yust the location of the connection, or does the arm itself look different ? i was thinking about moving the connection or welding a new.

if anyone have a pic of the pedal, please post it here

btw, what other donor cars have the same booster and master ? when i was at the yunk yard he had a booster from a 69 oldsmobile that looked alot like the pic at AdvanceAutoParts, is this the same ?

/71 Mach1, 351C, 4speed toploader

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: zICRONIx on 5/29/02 4:16pm ]</font>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts