Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I took first ride yesterday and brakes don't seem right. I robbed prop. valve from a Ford with disk front and drum rear. Rear brakes don't seem to be releasing. I'm going to rebuild rear wheel cylinders and I was thinking of an adjustible prop. valve from Summit. My question is do you eliminate the factory valve with the adjustible, and if you do where do you hook up the warning light? It is blowing fluid out the master cylinder so something is wrong. Put on new master cylinder and everything has been bled. When the rear brakes would stick I tapped the pedal a few times and they seemed to release. It was apart for 2 years so I could have hooked up the lines wrong I have the front brakes going to the rear side of the master with the bigger capacity, is this correct?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Paxtonman, not sure what car you're working on, but I just went through all this with my '71 Torino.

Also, this post assumes that your rear brakes are mechanically OK, as in assembled and adjusted properly and good NEW wheel cylinders. Do not rebuild the ones you have. New ones are only 10 bucks more than the rebuild kit! As far as blowing fluid out the master cylinder, this sounds like trapped air in the system.

The large reservoir does go to the front brakes. The smaller one to the rear. The proportioning valve has internal valving which shuts off flow to the front or rear brakes if there is a leak. Also there is a valve which adjusts how much pressure is sent to the rear brakes.

Most likely your proportioning valve is bad, or not calibrated for the brakes you have.

I bought an adjustable valve from Summit, ans it solved all my problems after swapping in a manual disc setup. I put it inline with my proportioning valve, so I still have a brake warning system. Put the valve between the proportioning valve and the brakes, not between the master cylinder and the proportioning valve.

Good luck!

Greg Pettit

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Greg P on 3/25/02 12:14am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Greg P on 3/25/02 12:15am ]</font>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts