Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got the 65 all running great but since it has been sitting for 10+ years the front brakes are locked up. The pedal will only move about 1/2" and it will lock the front tires completely up.

Btw I do have p/s.

Tomorrow I plan on digging into then to figure it out but was wondering if anyone had some ideas on what I should be checking. My plans are to check the slave cylinders first then work my way to the shoes function then up to the master cylinder. Maybe even bleed them to see if that helps.

Anything you guys can throw in there, or is there a common issue I should know of?

Thanks for the assistance!

·
Administrator
21,683 Posts
On my car on one side the brake pads were rusted to the drum or stuck to the drum. Maybe there is crud in the lines so after you hit the brakes they stay engaged til pressure bleeds off. The only way to see what the problem is is to take the tires off and drums and look at what you have going on in there. No way to tell after sitting that long with out looking at it. Might just need new shoes.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Well I got the 65 all running great but since it has been sitting for 10+ years the front brakes are locked up. The pedal will only move about 1/2" and it will lock the front tires completely up.

Btw I do have p/s.

Tomorrow I plan on digging into then to figure it out but was wondering if anyone had some ideas on what I should be checking. My plans are to check the slave cylinders first then work my way to the shoes function then up to the master cylinder. Maybe even bleed them to see if that helps.

Anything you guys can throw in there, or is there a common issue I should know of?

Thanks for the assistance!
You mean you have POWER BRAKES (vacuum booster), correct?

Any brake problem, especially after the car sits for a period of time, needs to have the foundation brakes checked first. Pull the wheels.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You mean you have POWER BRAKES (vacuum booster), correct?

Any brake problem, especially after the car sits for a period of time, needs to have the foundation brakes checked first. Pull the wheels.
Oops. Yes i meant p/b. Good catch.

I am going to just start with pulling the drums then work my way up to the master cylinder.

FE --> I will check that too thanks !

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
You are going to far too fast....

Pull or cut off the vacuum to the Booster like I said, Then drive it a few feet and see if the wheels lock up when you apply the brakes. I am betting that they do not...

THAT is why I said remove vacuum to booster.... The cabin seal may be bad and that is exactly what happens when it does...

The rest will have to come off eventually yes, to put in new hardware and shoes, but to test it that's simple.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I pulled the drums off and the wheel cylinders were locked up and wouldn't go back in. I replaced both fronts and am now out driving the car! Such a great feeling to drive it!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
That's awesome! I guess I was wrong to think the booster was holding the brakes. You never said that they locked up PERMANENTLY... My bad.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's awesome! I guess I was wrong to think the booster was holding the brakes. You never said that they locked up PERMANENTLY... My bad.
Hey, I appreciate everyone's input on the questions I have. You all have way more experience than me and every issue is different on every vehicle so there is no one answer cures all. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
While the booster may have been holding the brakes, one always begins a brake inspection with the wheels pulled, especially if the car has been sitting.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
While the booster may have been holding the brakes, one always begins a brake inspection with the wheels pulled, especially if the car has been sitting.
Oh but pulling the wheels is so much harder than simply removing vacuum from the booster and taking a 30 second attempt at moving the car.... It's virtually effortless compared to struggling to get the locked up drums off.

But I was wrong, and or I read his post wrong and I apologize for myself.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Oh but pulling the wheels is so much harder than simply removing vacuum from the booster and taking a 30 second attempt at moving the car.... It's virtually effortless compared to struggling to get the locked up drums off.

But I was wrong, and or I read his post wrong and I apologize for myself.
You weren't wrong and there is no need to apologize. It may well have been the booster and he went on and drove the vehicle and possibly ran over someone with faulty foundation brakes.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
MOVING and driving the car are entirely different things kultulz, you are exaggerating grossly in my MOVE the car without vacuum analysis here.

·
Administrator
21,683 Posts
When my booster was bad the brake pedal was sucked down to the floor on startup. But there was plenty wrong with the front cylinders and all anyway to merit removing the drums and all also. Been sitting 10 yrs or so that round.

Glad you got it going!

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
MOVING and driving the car are entirely different things kultulz, you are exaggerating grossly in my MOVE the car without vacuum analysis here.
You retaining water again F?

Let's say this is a sixteen year old kid. He finds the booster defective and effects a repair. Now do you really think he is going to pull the wheels to see what he has or go cruising with a car full of kids?

Do you see what I am trying to get across to you?

:confused: ...probably not...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts