Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
'68 Futura 289 4sp
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm changing my rear brakes because the rear left cylinder was leaking. The parts store had a difficult time getting me a set of shoes and I'm not sure they still haven't. The car is a '68 Futura, it has a 9" rearend that I'm pretty sure is not original to the car. The shoes they found for me do not have the same pad coverage as the ones I removed from my car. The primary I removed measured 11 1/4" and the secondary measures 9.5". The replacement primary is 11" and the secondary is 8". The person at the parts store told me it was fine. That doesn't make sense to me so I'm turning to the forum for opinion. I just purchased this car, I don't have a lot of info about it yet. It originally was a 200 3sp and currently has a 289 4sp. I don't have the specs on the engine. The little bit of driving I've been able to do I can say she definitely has some get up and go. I would just like to be able to stop the car and I don't have a warm fuzzy giving up that much shoe. I already mentioned the rearend. I don't know the gearing yet but I'm running about 3200 at 65-70 on the highway. I'll try to figure out the gearing while I have the car up in the air. Is there somewhere on the rearend that I can get a serial number so I can identify what the rearend came out of? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
682 Posts
What is your drum size. 10" 11"? If a 9" rearend those are the 2 most common. Usually a 10" unless a station wagon or bigger Ford/Mercury/Lincoln.
That and a picture of the pri/sec shoes and post them. Both the old that came off and the new ones the "monkey see, monkey do" parts tech gave you. Most counter people at auto stores only know what the puter tells them and just come up with something to make you go away.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts