Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a new C4 with torque converter that was bought from Ford back in 1973 but never used.

It was ordered for a 1972 Ranchero GT with a 351C ( I don't know if it was a 4v or 2v 351C )

It looks like it has the larger bellhousing, how can I tell for sure ?

It has a 24 spline input shaft. I plan on putting it behind a 275-300hp 302. Will it take it or is a upgrade to 26 spline mandatory ?

It has a R servo, from what I can find, that is a decent one, but input would be appreciated.

Will this transmission have 3, 4 or 5 clutches per pack ?

I would like to install a manual/automatic valve body ( Manual 1st and 2nd with auto shifts in Drive ), any reccomendations ?

Aside from fresh seals before I install it, any other advice ?

Thanks !

65 Mustang 2+2 351W
80 Zephyr
83 Capri RS
85 Mustang GT
92 Mustang LX Convertible 5.0
77 F250 4x4 400M
05 Explorer XLT Sport 4x4 4.6

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: C7Z on 11/14/06 5:32am ]</font>

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
On 2006-11-13 14:31, C7Z wrote:
I recently purchased a new C4 with torque converter that was bought from Ford back in 1973 but never used.

It was ordered for a 1972 Ranchero GT with a 351C ( I don't know if it was a 4v or 2v 351C )

It looks like it has the larger bellhousing, how can I tell for sure ?

It has a 24 spline input shaft. I plan on putting it behind a 275-300hp 302. Will it take it or is a upgrade to 26 spline mandatory ?

It has a R servo, from what I can find, that is a decent one, but input would be appreciated.

Will this transmission have 3, 4 or 5 clutches per pack ?

I would like to install a manual/automatic valve body ( Manual 1st and 2nd with auto shifts in Drive ), any reccomendations ?

Aside from fresh seals before I install it, any other advice ?

Thanks !

65 Mustang 2+2 351W
80 Zephyr
83 Capri RS
85 Mustang GT
92 Mustang LX Convertible 5.0
77 F250 4x4 400M
05 Explorer XLT Sport 4x4 4.6

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: C7Z on 11/14/06 5:32am ]</font>

C7Z,
I can't find any reference to a C4 in any 351C, '72 or otherwise. The C4 was used behind the 351 W and the 351 M but I find no reference to any 351 C. It could have been - my information may no be complete. There is a listing for the only small block C6 behind a 351 C.
All 1972 C4's have 24 spline on one end and 26 on the other end. The shaft you have should be good for over 300 HP.
To tell if you have the large bell housing or not measure its depth. if the depth is less than 6" it is for the 157 tooth gear and if it is over 6" it is for the 164 tooth ring gear.
The "R" servo is the fourth strongest holding pressure of the servos at any given pressure. It will apply slightly faster than the "C", "H" or "A" servos. It will also release faster than any of them. It will be fine for your application.
For the 351 W it would have five clutches in the forward pack and no less than four in the direct pack sometimes you find five clutches in both. It will be strong enough for your 300 Hp engine in either event. To firm the shifts up you can install a TransGo reprogramming kit in the valve body. (-2 kit) and to make it last for a long time add a transmission cooler that is rated for pulling a 12000 lb trailer minimum.
To make servicing it easier you can buy an in-line transmission filter (that should be installed in the return cooler line (it goes to the back of the tranny). that will keep any debris thrown off the converter and cooler from getting back to the tranny.
The 1972 valve body with the TransGo kit in it will be able to manually shift into 1st and 2nd at any speed and still shift auto in drive. there is no need to buy a special valve body to do this.
Be sure to lube the seal surfaces and the shaft surfaces with vasoline when you install them. That will keep from burning the seals up before it has a chance to run. Fill it with ONLY type "F" fluid, and don't over-fill it. If it has been sitting around for a long time start it up with the cars wheels off the ground. and run it through the gears manually to make sure it runs ok. You may experience some shifting irregularities - don't panic. The factory uses grease to install shuttle balls and that grease will sometimes harden and keep it from working correctly until it warms up and shifts a few times. If you install the TransGo kit you may not have to worry about this. It is atill a good idea to run it first with the wheels in the air - if there are any problems it is best to find them before you put a load on the tranny. They can be fixed before they do any harm to the transmission.
Paul

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
My list shows 73 Torino with a C4 behind the 351W column or floor shift, and 76 behind a 351M.
Monarch, Montego, Cougar, Granada are the other vehicles that used 351W and C4.
I don't suppose you still have the numbers from the ID tag for your Torino? I could then record the data and add it to my list.
Paul

·
Registered
58 Posts
No Paul, that car is long gone but I've been in the Ford repair world since 1971 and early 70's Mustang's and Torino's with 351C 2V used C4 and FMX's equally.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
I was rebuilding autos in 1970 too. Been at it a few years - I guess I just never ran into a Cleveland C4. I never made note of it if II did.
Paul

1 - 7 of 7 Posts