Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

brighten my headlights

5K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  66 coupe 
#1 ·
Is there any HID conversions for my car? 68 Fairlane. When I drive at night, I use the brights and it's still too dim. If not, what can I do?

#2 ·
If you feed your headlights with the power that comes directly off your alternator instead of from your battery, they recieve approx 14 volts instead of 12. It makes a huge difference and makes the lights appear white instead of that dim almost yellow color. That combined with halogen sealed beams will brighten up your driving world.

#4 ·
Rewire it with relays. I think Hella makes some fancy brite headlights. Check with the local off-road shops.

1964 Comet 289 C4 daily driver
"These go to 11." -This is Spinal Tap

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dragman64 on 12/28/01 6:01pm ]</font>

#5 ·
In my torino, the lights were always yellowish, and when I bought some new halogen lights, they were brighter and white. The relay idea is a very good idea, saves on your headlight switch as well. Combine the relay idea and the the wire it form the alt, and you have bright lights

#6 ·
I don't know what size headlights your Fairlane uses, but if they are 7" round, 6"x8", or 3"x5", then you can really brighten them by installing relays, as well as converting to a glass housing with removeable H4 bulb. The conversion kits can be found on E-Bay for under $60, and allow you to use the newer brite white/slight blue bulbs, and they can also be had in 90W/110W and higher!

-Brian

#8 ·
Man that looks cool Rainy tI'd love to do this too! I tryed to download the pics directly with no luck could you e-mail them to me or post the source files somewhere? I'd love to be able to give them a closer look.

#10 ·
On 2001-12-29 01:52, CougarKid wrote:
...I tryed to download the pics directly with no luck could you e-mail them to me or post the source files somewhere? I'd love to be able to give them a closer look.
If you right click on each image (there's 2), you can 'save as'. They're JPEG images. Once they're on your PC you can blow them up as far as you'd like.

#11 ·
Yea, I tryed that but Adobe Photoshop the wise and all knowing says "invalid DQT JPEG segment Table number is found (it must be <4). Whatever the heck the means! No other programs seem to be able to read it either. Any one else having this problem or is it just me?

#13 ·
I am running the h-4 conversion in my 68 mustang and it is the way to go. The lights are so much brighter. The only pain is cutting the buckets out to accept them. I also run a relay to take the load off of the headlight switch, it is also a good way to assure full voltage to the headlights.

#14 ·
It looks like there is now a conversion kit for xenon lights, according to the link posted above (sylvania). This is a good thing! I suspect the conversion will cost a few hundred bucks though. Does anybody know what the cost is?

I work for BMW of North America, I first had xenon lights in 1992. They are very common place now, even though they are a $500 option on most BMW's. The worst part about the xenon lights is that many people will hit you with their brights, believing that you have your brights on. It is fun to hit them back with your own brights. This will happen every time you drive at night without fail!

I would not buy a new car without them. I will probably upgrade my mustang with them, but I rarely drive the car at night, or much at all for that matter.

The painless wiring kit would also be a huge improvement, for less than a hundred bucks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.