Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,514 Posts
Norm, i'll watch for you new pic of the brake lights. Think the worst time is when the sun is at my back shining into there. As for the 3rd brake light, maybe you could use some kind of light bracket on the top edge of the bumper or something. I had thought of two like 2 inch ones, one on each side for mine to begin with. If it wasn't for the gas tank door one could hang right there over the back edge of the trunk maybe.

Saw a strip of LEDs that every now and then would like blink like a knight rider thing to the center and back out on a new car but added after market. I noticed cause they were green and thought hey there's me some green lights. Was just bout to get the camera out and the light changed. Then thought to look and see what the car even was and it was an under cover cop car. lol

Thinking of hitting a truck stop to see if they have those that strobe like 2 or 3 times then are solid red just outta curiosity. See how much and how they mount. I see them on dump trucks and motorcycles now and then. They just aren't common yet but sure get your attention when they are stopping or turning in front of you.

Enjoy the car show!!

·
Registered
750 Posts
Deb, Ok here are 2 pics I took today at the car show, while wifey worked the brake pedal.

I've seen those 'light bar' type 3rd brake lights, and like you, I was worried it would interfere with that gas door. One of the folks in the club has a neat one on the package tray of his '58 Ford, he sez he likes it, and it doesn't glare up his back window when the brakes are applied. I am reluctant to put any holes back there tho --'course that option isn't for you, lol.

With brakes off:

brakelightoff052116 by 1964 Galaxie 500, on Flickr

With brakes on:

brakelighton052116 by 1964 Galaxie 500, on Flickr

Hope that shows up well on your end! In person they do look pretty bright, and there's a noticeable difference, on vs off.

Norm

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Hi Norm,

You sure are convincing me that LED is the way to go. Your pics are very convincing.

As an aside, I recently had my rear bumper rechromed and I fought with it most of this afternoon trying to get it mounted and aligned. I have a lot more work to do. Your pic of the rear bumper is a good reference to work with. Thanks again!

Gary

·
Registered
750 Posts
Hey Gary --glad I could help with 2 things then! :wink2:

Norm

Hi Norm,

You sure are convincing me that LED is the way to go. Your pics are very convincing.

As an aside, I recently had my rear bumper rechromed and I fought with it most of this afternoon trying to get it mounted and aligned. I have a lot more work to do. Your pic of the rear bumper is a good reference to work with. Thanks again!

Gary

·
Super Moderator
21,514 Posts
Looks great Norm, i might have to buy those also. I did get the LEDs around my tail light buckets inside and figured out which wire to connect to so they only light up when the brake is applied. Love it and hope they stay stuck there, will have to wait a while and see what happens.

As for the strip across the back, i still might do that but going to see how well the peel and stick works on the other lights that the light is centered and straight up. The ones in the tail light buckets are edge lit. I think I can run 2 strips, one across each side either above or below the stainless trim and run the wires behind the gas door and through a hole where i'm missing the bumper. Didn't find any other holes back there. Would have to be sure that the wires are well encased as that's not a good place to have a short in the wiring!! I have some electrical tape that you stretch as you wrap and it sticks to itself and forms a solid like rubber encasement and think it will work well for this if i decide to do it. But forgot to try turn signals to see if they blink with that. Cause if they do then I don't know that i could put a full long piece on each side of the door or even one solid one across as it would be flashing with the signals and confuse people. I'm thinking it shouldn't but will have to check it out first.

Update on signals: Yep they blink with the signal. I suppose there is a way to hook them up to only light up with the brake but I'm not a wiring guru at all and can only think to run a wire from the brake switch up front all the way to the back to do it. I'm sure there must be another way isn't there?

The one photo i changed the ISO on my phone to try and get the lights to show better. The brighter one you sure can see how dirty the lens is!! Fog effect there!

led lights2.jpg

led lights.jpg

·
Registered
750 Posts
Wow, looks great Deb!

Now your tail lights do have that jet exhaust look --as in when a twin-engine fighter jet launches off a carrier, after-burners lighting up, haha. Look out people, we're launchin' !!

I haven't done a 3rd brake light 'kit' since the days we installed them on customer's cars back at the Ford dealership (we're talking 1986 here when they were installed on new Fords). That kit contained a small box in the wiring (iirc) which over-rode the turn signal --so it would still shine correctly when brakes were applied, but without blinking. I've poked around in the trunk on mine, and my hunch sez that where you see that 3-wire connector plugging into the 2-wire one right by the t/light bucket --that's the ticket.

When I redid my bulbs last month, I took all the lenses (frt & rear) into the kitchen and gave them a little scrubbing with a finger brush and was amazed how dirty/muddy all of them were --inside too!! I bet just the cleaning improved their output noticeably!

Norm

Looks great Norm, i might have to buy those also.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I decided to order the LEDs originally recommended by Norm. You've convinced me not to wait for another passing motorist telling me my brake lights don't work....or worse yet an accident. Now to finish the bumper! That may lead to another thread....

gary

·
Super Moderator
21,514 Posts
Gas stations be ready!! lol A friend told me they looked like bloodshot eyes. That's probably more fitting! The one pic looked like some monster was in the right side of the trunk peeking out.

I used a turn signal light off a motorcycle as a test light. If i plugged both wires into the 2 wire plug it would light up but go out when brakes were applied. Too bad it didn't work the opposite way, i'd be in business. Probably right that there is a combo back there that will work and not blink. Since i have to hold up on my shift lever to get the back up light to come on maybe i should of used that as part of the lights, not legal maybe but the tail gater's minds might think oh shoot they're backing up! I'll maybe mess with that another day. I have the main thing changed and i still have to do the alternator swap before i head to oregon next week.

Not that i would ever set something up but those backup light locations would be a cool spot for flames like the butane lighters that look like jets and shoot the flame out there that the wind can't really blow out. I doubt that the tail light lense would hold up very well but bet there's a way if someone wanted to do it! Where there's a will, there's a way!

I might have to do the same and get those LED lights also. I have the 2357 bulbs in the tail lights now but during the day they still don't show well. When I looked at the LEDs i thought for the heck of it i would input my car to see if they were compatible according to their listing. Nope! But they are 1157 so might have something to do with the flasher like you mentioned or more likely their 'book' doesn't go back that far.

Gary: I plan on the same but later on.

Wow, looks great Deb!

Now your tail lights do have that jet exhaust look --as in when a twin-engine fighter jet launches off a carrier, after-burners lighting up, haha. Look out people, we're launchin' !!

I haven't done a 3rd brake light 'kit' since the days we installed them on customer's cars back at the Ford dealership (we're talking 1986 here when they were installed on new Fords). That kit contained a small box in the wiring (iirc) which over-rode the turn signal --so it would still shine correctly when brakes were applied, but without blinking. I've poked around in the trunk on mine, and my hunch sez that where you see that 3-wire connector plugging into the 2-wire one right by the t/light bucket --that's the ticket.

When I redid my bulbs last month, I took all the lenses (frt & rear) into the kitchen and gave them a little scrubbing with a finger brush and was amazed how dirty/muddy all of them were --inside too!! I bet just the cleaning improved their output noticeably!

Norm

·
Registered
750 Posts
Great to hear Gary! Please post some pics when you're done (bumper too!), I'll be sure to peek at them!

Norm

I decided to order the LEDs originally recommended by Norm. You've convinced me not to wait for another passing motorist telling me my brake lights don't work....or worse yet an accident. Now to finish the bumper! That may lead to another thread....

gary

·
Registered
750 Posts
Funny about the bloodshot eyes, and that monster peeking out, ha! I can see that now as well. Christine, the Sequel.

You could prolly go yarding and find like a late '80s Ford car and see if you can grab the 3rd brake light 'stuff' in the trunk, such as the harness that may have the small converter box molded into it. I believe the factory harnesses had that in them for a few years, until they changed over the insides of the factory turn signal switches --in the column. You should be able to then use any of your truck stop LEDS and so on?

I may do that too when my turn comes .....right now I'm pretty content with what I've got for light output back there --until a day comes along of course and some motorist wooshes by screaming "yer lights still look burned out, but cool car dude!" ...lol.

Norm

Gas stations be ready!! lol A friend told me they looked like bloodshot eyes. That's probably more fitting! The one pic looked like some monster was in the right side of the trunk peeking out.

·
Super Moderator
21,514 Posts
Knowing my car so long it does seem to have a 'i'll show you attitude' or possessed sometimes. In '78 i commented (and remember AM was the main radios then) that the best thing bout the car was the radio and air shocks. Right after that BOOM! the shocks blew and 2 mins later the radio quit! Exhaust mount rubbed the shock as it was on upside down, they were on there when i got them and Midas knew as it explained the pry bar that fell out of my car 15 miles down the road. Radio a wire fell off. Flash forward to 2000 little boy sitting on sidewalk, i'm trying to get the car road worthy after sitting since '79 basically and i am a little perturbed and ask him if he wants to see a car burn. I go on a 6 mile round trip test drive and come back with smoke rolling out of the back from a wheel bearing and when i open the hood there is gas everywhere! I didn't get the fuel line tight or something. So now i NEVER say anything like those things where the car can hear me! lol

As for your lights, i would think that should be good enough, they are definitely visible! Next time i'm junk yarding i'll check some of the cars and see what they got in there, if i can figure out what i'm looking for. Retrace the 3rd light wire back. Thanks for the tip!

Funny about the bloodshot eyes, and that monster peeking out, ha! I can see that now as well. Christine, the Sequel.

You could prolly go yarding and find like a late '80s Ford car and see if you can grab the 3rd brake light 'stuff' in the trunk, such as the harness that may have the small converter box molded into it. I believe the factory harnesses had that in them for a few years, until they changed over the insides of the factory turn signal switches --in the column. You should be able to then use any of your truck stop LEDS and so on?

I may do that too when my turn comes .....right now I'm pretty content with what I've got for light output back there --until a day comes along of course and some motorist wooshes by screaming "yer lights still look burned out, but cool car dude!" ...lol.

Norm

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Hey Deb, Norm,

Thanks for your help and encouragement. I hope to get the bumper all set up and if the LEDs arrive, get those in too. I'll certainly post some pics when it's all done. Have a great Memorial Day weekend!

gary

·
Registered
750 Posts
Here's a 3rd brake light wiring diagram to peek at in this HAMB thread. Maybe this is do-able for you?

Brake light wiring with 3 wire turn signal help. | The H.A.M.B.

Don't tell ANYone, but I also talk all nicey-nicey to my car, even patting it on the dash pad after a nice job of taking us there and back. Ya just NEVEr know!! ;)

Yes, I'm sure now the powers here might 'brand' my profile with a little 'cuckoo' 'smilie', haha

I didn't see any 1986 Crown Vic wiring images on google, but I would try for a big Ford car, no trucks, no 3dr cars (liftgates), since those have too much trim to remove to get at the wiring. Mustangs avoid because junkyard folk likely charge more, just cuz it's a 'stang, lol. ...or if that HAMB thread winds up having the info you need, better yet!!

Funny thing ...last night was NSRA (here we are MSRA) safety inspection night, and of course my pesky l/rear brake light decided it was gonna act up. ...Christine again, hmmm? ...So a buddy and I frantically checked this and that, all while the inspector cut me some slack and waited patiently --turned out to be the lower bulkhead connector just a teeny bit loose, and wal-la, it came to life, and the car passed, yay! So yea, 'car karma' --it's verry real!

Norm

Knowing my car so long it does seem to have a 'i'll show you attitude' or possessed sometimes. In '78 i commented (and remember AM was the main radios then) that the best thing bout the car was the radio and air shocks. Right after that BOOM!
As for your lights, i would think that should be good enough, they are definitely visible! Next time i'm junk yarding i'll check some of the cars and see what they got in there, if i can figure out what i'm looking for. Retrace the 3rd light wire back. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Knowing my car so long it does seem to have a 'i'll show you attitude' or possessed sometimes.
Hey mon Deb,
This is similar to something that I've been mentioning on&off about Ms. American and Lorrie Van Haul for a number of year. So am starting a WHOLE NEW Thread about it. This needs to be discussed.

JC

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Don't tell ANYone, but I also talk all nicey-nicey to my car, even patting it on the dash pad after a nice job of taking us there and back. Ya just NEVEr know!! ;) Yes, I'm sure now the powers here might 'brand' my profile with a little 'cuckoo' 'smilie', haha
and wal-la, it came to life, and the car passed, yay! So yea, 'car karma' --it's verry real! Norm
Hey Norm,
Being a writer, finding the vocabulary of appropriate words to describe things is necessary. Have found that there are words to describe the effect of our Gals actually being "alive&sentient", and HOW that happens. Am starting a thread about it.

BTW, what you pronounced as "wal-la" is PROPERLY spelled "Voila'".

Anyway, watch for the NEW thread about our LIVING vehicles.

JC

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I didn't read all post so don't know if this was mentioned or not. I re-lined my 68 light buckets with reflective tape and it made a huge difference. I'm frequently told I left my lights on during the day but................

·
Super Moderator
21,514 Posts
Glad we could help! Good luck with your lights, bumper etc and you also have a fantastic weekend!

Mine is booked, was invited to go to the races and be in the pits with them at Evergreen Speedway in Monroe WA. Never been in the pits ever and haven't been to a 'circle track' race in bout 30 yrs, looking forward to it!! They said i might know more than their mechanics! I seriously doubt that and they are non-Fords, the horror!! Sunday it's visiting Psig from on here and probably FEandGoingBroke also. Monday i guess is rest up day.

Hey Deb, Norm,

Thanks for your help and encouragement. I hope to get the bumper all set up and if the LEDs arrive, get those in too. I'll certainly post some pics when it's all done. Have a great Memorial Day weekend!

gary

·
Super Moderator
21,514 Posts
Thanks for the link and tips on what cars, i'll check it out! I usually hit the pick- or pull-a-part places so prices are the same for all makes. I do know what ya mean on pricing though!

No laughing as I point your direction here, I do the same!! LOL I tried to tell FEandGoingBroke that the mustang he was working on had it out for him one day also. Forget now if it was the dash lights or what that just decided to quit on the car he was restoring and they were just on shortly before that. Changed the fuse, changed to another fuse, removed gauge cluster, checked that all the wiring was correct, i even asked bout the paint and grounding but he had grounded it separately with a wire. After all this it just as mysteriously worked again. Maybe it was me, cause he had an issue with a panel on that same car too when i was there. But think that car and the previous project both had it in for him. :)

Sometimes, even if it seems dingy, ya can't take chances! :grin2:

Here's a 3rd brake light wiring diagram to peek at in this HAMB thread. Maybe this is do-able for you?

Brake light wiring with 3 wire turn signal help. | The H.A.M.B.

Don't tell ANYone, but I also talk all nicey-nicey to my car, even patting it on the dash pad after a nice job of taking us there and back. Ya just NEVEr know!! ;)

Yes, I'm sure now the powers here might 'brand' my profile with a little 'cuckoo' 'smilie', haha

I didn't see any 1986 Crown Vic wiring images on google, but I would try for a big Ford car, no trucks, no 3dr cars (liftgates), since those have too much trim to remove to get at the wiring. Mustangs avoid because junkyard folk likely charge more, just cuz it's a 'stang, lol. ...or if that HAMB thread winds up having the info you need, better yet!!

Funny thing ...last night was NSRA (here we are MSRA) safety inspection night, and of course my pesky l/rear brake light decided it was gonna act up. ...Christine again, hmmm? ...So a buddy and I frantically checked this and that, all while the inspector cut me some slack and waited patiently --turned out to be the lower bulkhead connector just a teeny bit loose, and wal-la, it came to life, and the car passed, yay! So yea, 'car karma' --it's verry real!

Norm

21 - 40 of 65 Posts