Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,522 Posts
My tail light buckets look like new but could be connections between the tail lights and the front maybe, all the sockets and the 'local' plugs have been cleaned. It is mainly in the sun of summer i have issues with people. Kinda think it's that most are used to those glaring LED lights and not paying attention anymore these days. But this is a great tip for someone with not so bright buckets.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
My tail light buckets look like new but could be connections between the tail lights and the front maybe, all the sockets and the 'local' plugs have been cleaned.
My buckets look like new as well but the original 1157 bulbs just didn't light up bright enough during the day. I thought switching to 2357s and painting the bucket satin white would be a huge improvement (since white reflects all light). However, even after careful preparation, I couldn't get the paint to stick. It bubbled up after a second coat like I was using paint remover! It was even Rustoleum which I never had an adhesion problem with. I always heard that anodized aluminum was a great surface to paint. Anyways, I removed all the paint and went back to bright aluminum which should reflect ~75% of the light. I have LEDs ordered as my backup. I'll keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
750 Posts
You're very welcome Gary ! :)

I look forward to those pics and how the LEDS worked out for ya.

Thanks, and same to you!

Norm

Hey Deb, Norm,

Thanks for your help and encouragement. I hope to get the bumper all set up and if the LEDs arrive, get those in too. I'll certainly post some pics when it's all done. Have a great Memorial Day weekend!

gary

·
Registered
750 Posts
You're quite welcome :) I hope you wind up finding a cure regardless which one does the trick --or in this case, pleases your car's 'spirit', lol

Have a great Mem Day weekend! Norm

Thanks for the link and tips on what cars, i'll check it out! I usually hit the pick- or pull-a-part places so prices are the same for all makes. I do know what ya mean on pricing though!

No laughing as I point your direction here, I do the same!! LOL I tried to tell FEandGoingBroke that the mustang he was working on had it out for him one day also..............

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
Update on signals: Yep they blink with the signal. I suppose there is a way to hook them up to only light up with the brake but I'm not a wiring guru at all and can only think to run a wire from the brake switch up front all the way to the back to do it. I'm sure there must be another way isn't there?
Yes. All in the trunk, and fairly easy, too. I'll take a look at them when your leave the car, and check options to get them working how you like. When I have some time after that, I can make a little module so the 3rd lights (or all the brake lights) do quick pulse flashes then steady if that "lights you up".
;)
David

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
The led i bought had a bottom like below and discovered years ago, even the regular bulbs with this bottom don't work in my car. I had bought some like this by accident once. Is the bottom of the bulbs you used the 'normal' 2 round 'dots' so to speak? The pics don't show but the single on ebay but they are showing dimensions so a stock photo is probably used.
You raise a good point when shopping for the bulbs, as there are several bulb bases that are similar but different. Be sure the spec includes "1157", as the pic you posted is a 7225, and notice everything is fine except the little studs are clocked wrong to fit properly in your sockets. Pics below.

David

While the studs will be staggered along the length of the base; note here the studs are clocked at 12 and 5 o'clock, where the 1157 studs should be clocked at 12 and 6, as in the second image:

·
Registered
21 Posts
i bought a pair of phillips 1157 leds for my 68 gal convertible. popped them in and saw a difference right away. only problem is the signals wont flash. brake lights work. tail lights work. four ways work and flash. just the signals wont flash. i know there is two separate flashers. i have a flasher from a donor car. its a tridon electronic hd12. will this solve my problem? i havent tried it fearing the worst lol.

·
Registered
21 Posts
just solved my problem . i got a flasher made by grote at mcneil auto parts. the flasher has a ground wire sticking out of it that you need to ground. works like a charm. should keep the tailgaters off my rear bumper!

·
Super Moderator
21,522 Posts
Now that is the part i didn't notice psig, the position of the 'pegs'. It was years ago but think those things are still around somewhere. In the console or something.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Well I finally got the new LED 1157 bulbs installed (and the newly chromed rear bumper). It's certainly an improvement. The lights come on instantly and since I didn't replace the front parking light bulbs, the original thermal flasher works fine. The picture had the LED installed on the left and the incandescent on the right. Thanks to everyone for their help.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
21,522 Posts
Just now saw this! But now that i have, what was it you said i needed to put in line for the ones i want to add across the back so they are brake only and not flash with the turn signal?

Manboy followed me home today with the sun at my back and he said the LEDs show up much better than tail lights only. He said he could see them but then he wasn't a moron behind me. I will be nice! A friend and I went down to Centralia Sunday to meet others and have pancake breakfast at a grange in Ford's Prairie, he followed me for a bit and said he loved the lights and it gave him an idea. What that is who knows. He has a '67 Fairlane convertible...finally it did well! He has had issues for the past few years...ever since he put a set of late model mustang seats in it. He recently pulled the interior out and the doors off etc and i'm thinking the car got a bit worried it was going to the junkyard!

Parade Thursday in Yelm if not raining and Sunday a trip to Mt Saint Helens. He can't afford the gas (non-ethanol) this journey so think he's riding along with me. My son is probably going also with his Granada. Don't know how many are going but supposed to be a few more old cars. Should be fun but a long day!

Yes. All in the trunk, and fairly easy, too. I'll take a look at them when your leave the car, and check options to get them working how you like. When I have some time after that, I can make a little module so the 3rd lights (or all the brake lights) do quick pulse flashes then steady if that "lights you up".
;)
David

·
Super Moderator
21,522 Posts
Looks great!! I am still thinking i will add the led 1157s down the road myself, the more light the better around here!!

Well I finally got the new LED 1157 bulbs installed (and the newly chromed rear bumper). It's certainly an improvement. The lights come on instantly and since I didn't replace the front parking light bulbs, the original thermal flasher works fine. The picture had the LED installed on the left and the incandescent on the right. Thanks to everyone for their help.

·
Registered
750 Posts
They look great Gary, yay! Thanks for sharing your pic. :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
A year later, has anyone had any problems with their LEDs getting too hot? I know most of these cars are driven on sunny days without the lights being continually on.

·
Registered
644 Posts
My taillight bulbs, LEDs from Cree, throw no heat off at all compared to stock bulbs.
I can have them on for the drive home & immediatly touch them after a 20 min. drive
I did use a resisitor in line to get flashers to work, I;m told the electronic flasher with the ground wire is the fix

·
Super Moderator
21,522 Posts
Since i never put the LED bulbs in mine just the ring around the tail light i can't answer that but i don't see that they would overheat. I've had Christmas lights covering my entire car run by an inverter including over my non-conventional waterbed mattress convertible top, they didn't even get warm. And those are 110v.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
As a follow up to my original tail light post in May 2016, I have been running the Cree LED tail light bulbs since their installation in June 2016. This past weekend while getting ready for a cruise, I found that both tail light bulbs were flickering when on....both left and right and brake and tail light. I replaced both with the same Cree LEDs that I had purchased as spares and it resolved the flickering problem. Does it seem real that they would both fail at the same time? Given the long winters in western NY, the car did not have a lot of run time over the past 3 years...maybe 600 miles. Has anyone else experienced short life span on LED tail lights? Thanks.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Sorry to hear that Gary ! :(

I've not had to even touch my LED bulbs since I installed them around May of 2016. Now of course I'll be checking on them.

And like you I live in a fairly long winter area, so I don't put on that many miles cruising around in the nicer months.

Norm

41 - 60 of 65 Posts