Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All

I have a cracked body mount on the passenger front (right behind the tranny.)

I am going to fix it obviously and I need a welder anyway. I have been eyeing the cheap wire feed welders on ebay. Anyone have any experience with wire feed welders and not the $1000 models - the $100 to $200 models....

·
Registered
218 Posts
im sure itll get the job done, depends if you are using gass or not, either should suffice. Just make sure you cleaned the area to be welded real good with a grinder as well as the place you are using as the ground. are you doing it with the body on or off?

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
$100 to $200 sounds like a deal to me. Very cheap considering. In the range of $500 to $700 with bottle is more appropriate.

I welded up my Mustang with a 100 Amp wire feed back when. It was sort of an early model, hard to get parts for after the first year also. Then it got stolen, and the insurance Co. replacement was too much power. It blew holes through nearly everything. Although I had to run the smaller unit at higher current ratings, (for like on a trailer hitch once) it was easier to control heat.

Keep a bunch of scrap metal around to practice upon before applying the heat to that frame mount.

Wm.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I have a centure 115 amp 110 volt welder i use for most light mild steel and it works great. I am D1.1 certified btw..... first things first get a good helmet and not that hold on too shield Second, use .023 wire with 90/10 gas. You really dont want to fix that with flux core wire. IF you do use flux core make sure you reverse the polarity of the welder it controls spatter better and inside the lid where the wire will sit it has a chart that shows you how to do that. A
As far as how to weld ..... thats a long course and could NEVER be told on the net , I could tell you some things to do but the description would never get through without showing it to you. PREPERATION is key, clean off all paint rust crud etc, this will ensure a good weld and PRACTICE for a few days on a piece of metal on the bench till you get a good speed setting and heat. Keep in mind that you will be welding over head as well and this changs everything as far as wire speed is concerned usually less is required so it doesnt ball up and fall on the floor. sorry so long Ill leave yah alone now lol

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Make sure there is not any insulation on the other side of the body mount. Like the kind of insulation that you might find under a carpet pr such. I would hate to hear about your ride catching on fire. I was in an autobody class and man I never seen some one move so fast when he caught the insulation on fire.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually it is a frame piece so if I unbolt the body and jack it up, will be welding the front of the bracket back to the frame so I shouldn't have that issue! But thanks for the heads up!!!

·
Registered
303 Posts
i have no experience with the 100/200 dollar models and don't mean to wack on them but if your going to do much welding on your car/cars and can at all afford it get the 500/700 dollar model (lincohn, miller, hobart) w/gas. they're pretty much bulllet proof, easier to get a good weld with, don't blow fuses, and not as picky about surface prep. just my 0.02, i realize like most of us your on a budget.

as far helmets like mustang said get a good one. i would add periodically change the lenses. you can get a scratch on it and not know it untill you get a blind spot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts