Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a TCI streetfighter C4 in my 66 mustang behind a 300hp 302. I was getting on the freeway last night hit second gear just fine, revved up to about 5000rpm then hit 3rd, only to hear a loud clunk noise and lose all my gears. It'll hold park, but any other gear feels like neutral, no grabbing or grinding whatsoever. Tranny fluid looks clean, driveshaft and u- joints intact, no leaks. The trans has about 20,000 miles on it and has never given me trouble before. Any ideas about what may have broke?

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Cloud also be a rear planetary or output shaft splines where it fits into the sun gear. Along with above items.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Also, you could have broken the pump gears. If no pressure, then no forward or reverse.

Time to pull the tranny and diagnosis your problems.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, i plan on pulling it out in a couple weekends. Just thought i'd see what i've got to deal with, but looks like it could be a number of things. I think i'll give TCI a call after i find the problem and see what they have to say.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's odd because, it did not grind whatsoever when it broke, just a loud clunk and a whole lot of neutral. Even now if i try putting it in gear there is no resistance or noise. Considering it still holds park, would that mean that the rear cluster of the transmission is intact. Sorry i dont know much about automatics.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Sorry, just because you put it in park, doesn't mean the rear clusters are fine. The parking gear in out side of the main case enclosed by the tail housing and inside of the govonor housing.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I have read that the C4s weakest link is the input shaft. If you upgrade the input shaft, the next weakest is the forward drum where the input shaft splines engage it. (Of course we all know too well how much BS is published...)
You logically will first inspect the input shaft once the tranny is dropped.

·
Registered
413 Posts
The problem is not the input shaft. It is the forward drum. Over time the splines get hammered and it fails. It is kind of stupid that they make hardened input shafts when the factory is already hardened. What they need is a better forward drum. Try breaking one while doing an awesome burn out.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I understand what you are saying windsoreight, but without a tear down, anything is possible. I have seen rear planetaries stripped.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Makes sense as if you look at the two components, the forward drum seems to be a cast piece (then machined), while the input shaft looks pretty durable, especially the larger version.
I thought broken input shafts weren't that uncommon (read that here somewhere) and that not all of them were hardened.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I agree with others that it might be the splines in the forward planetary are stripped out.I had the planetary splines strip out and also the main shaft splines were rounded off in my Morris C4.It would move in reverse but had no forward speeds.The only way to tell is to tear the trans down, anything else is just speculation .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts