Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in los angeles last night it got down to 38 degrees in some parts and a wind chill some said to be 12 degrees. anyhow it looks like someone vandalized 2 cars on my street so i ask the neighbor and he said it was because of the cold....man i am from the midwest and seattle...never heard of that happening? have you?

·
Registered
712 Posts
Not unless the glass already had a crack in it, and water froze in the crack. I don't think so.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
It can happen but a window would crack it would not shatter do you just have a crack in it? I live in vegas and I have seen the heat make cracks in windows appear.

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
Never heard of it myself and haven't seen any broken windows up here where it was in the teens at night. My crack in my windshield grows longer each time it's frozen though. Maybe someone walking around with a lighter that works in the wind and torching them?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ShotRod64 on 12/2/06 10:00am ]</font>

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
If there was ice, maybe the owners used hot water to try and remove the ice. That'll bust a cold windshield quick.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Windows and back glass are tempered safety glass and will shatter with even the smallest crack (in fact, they don't crack, they just shatter.) Like Chris said, they'll shatter if you pour hot water on them and they're that cold. It's also possible they tried to roll them down. That can break them too if there's ice on them.

Windshields are plastic laminated safety glass. They might crack, even severely, but they won't shatter.

·
Registered
429 Posts
It's very rare. Cars are designed to operate in sub-zero tems with no problems. It's not like the mfgs know if the car is going to Texas or Minnesota. Silly excuse, IMO....

·
Registered
813 Posts
One day, it was like 112* degrees in late July with the sun just blistering down on everything, and my girlfriend had to go to work, she owned an 88 Camaro.
She asked me to hose off the windshield because it was dirty, so I grabbed the hose and sprayed.....and the damn thing split right up the middle!!
I did'nt get any that night!!

·
Registered
825 Posts
On 2006-12-10 01:38, TorinoStyle2 wrote:
One day, it was like 112* degrees in late July with the sun just blistering down on everything, and my girlfriend had to go to work, she owned an 88 Camaro.
She asked me to hose off the windshield because it was dirty, so I grabbed the hose and sprayed.....and the damn thing split right up the middle!!

damn....cock blocked by a chevy

·
Registered
279 Posts
On 2006-12-10 10:42, norcal500 wrote:

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
On 2006-12-10 18:44, sevenlitrestang wrote:
On 2006-12-10 10:42, norcal500 wrote:

HA HA HA HA HA! DItto! The lowest blow of the low blows!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts