Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
KULTULZ 11-25-2012 0928 HRS said:
I am fascinated by this MERC. Does it have single or dualing HDL?

Can you show a front and rear photo? 385 SERIES power?

Sorry for the thread interruption...

57 merc 11-25-2010 1702 HRS said:
We need to quit steal'n Dans thread or hes gonna get pissed.

Good Guess.............385/545 ci stroker. Them 427 FE's are to expensive beat the sh*t out of at the track every weekend. I'd be kool with a cammer though. Yup, its got quad headlites. Inside ones are ram air Thunderbolt style. I'll post front and rear pics soon.
What is the review going to take, a season pass?

·
Premium Member
5,393 Posts
Give him a chance, he will do it. :)

He's been too busy trying to help me out with my brake thread and answering PMs.

Sorry for hijacking your thread. :)

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Give him a chance, he will do it. :)

He's been too busy trying to help me out with my brake thread and answering PMs.

Sorry for hijacking your thread. :)
You didn't hijack the thread... :)

·
Premium Member
5,393 Posts
I think he has gone into hibernation.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think he has gone into hibernation.
I have the same luck with women over the years. A little eye candy and they disappear... :cry:

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
That is sweet! I would like to see more pics of that myself, inside and out! I've never even see one of those in 55 years that I remember.

Where would you get parts for that?!

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is sweet! I would like to see more pics of that myself, inside and out! I've never even see one of those in 55 years that I remember.

Where would you get parts for that?!
The IMOA and HEMMINGS mainly. I found a complete in AZ some years back w/o side glass and was afraid of it. It would make one nice car to drive to the beach.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
The roll bar almost looks like a blacked out "B" pillar in the picture, but, the car is very similar to a 2 dr hardtop, no B pillar, but it has a side window.

Olds, Merc, and Buick also made some nice 4 dr hardtop wagons. Loved the 57 Olds version, hated the 58.

I love this Merc, but, again, I favor a stock look.

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
Looks like a roll bar to me.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
MERC was independent of FOMOCO during this period and came out with a bunch of neat stuff.

The HDT wagon was available as a 2DR and 4DR. SUPER MARAUDER 430CI 360HP or THE SUPER MARAUDER 3X2 400HP.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Yeah me too, and he seems to have forgotten to come back with more pics and details....:(

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
This being a 1957, the first MEL Engine (410CI) was scheduled for HP assembly but MEL had numerous casting difficulties (the 410 went to EDSEL as it had an early 1958 release) and had to install the LINC Y-Block (368CI 290HP) for performance over the FORD Y-Block Series (312CI).

One option was the M-335 Engine (368CI/335HP 2 X 4).

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
This being a 1957, the first MEL Engine (410CI) was scheduled for HP assembly but MEL had numerous casting difficulties (the 410 went to EDSEL as it had an early 1958 release) and had to install the LINC Y-Block (368CI 290HP) for performance over the FORD Y-Block Series (312CI).

One option was the M-335 Engine (368CI/335HP 2 X 4).
I love the stock Merc.

Reminds me when I was a 14 year old kid, and I saw my first 57 Merc, dark green and white (I think) parked on the street.

It was night, I was coming home from playing league basketball, but I walked around that car for a good 20 minutes.

I never had that happen over any car, up to then, and I was always a car nut, going back to the early 50's.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I love the stock Merc.

Reminds me when I was a 14 year old kid, and I saw my first 57 Merc, dark green and white (I think) parked on the street.

It was night, I was coming home from playing league basketball, but I walked around that car for a good 20 minutes.

I had never had that happen over any car, up to then, and I was always a car nut, going back to the early 50's.
I was in love when I was a kid (fifties) and they actually produced cars.

I am ashamed to admit this, but I fell in love (the same way you described) with a 1960 DODGE (I think it was). Everyday I would walk past it on the way to school and dream all day how I would customize it.

I was at my grandfathers one morning and he had a friend stop by that had just bought a 1958 MERC TPC. As he backed out of the driveway and pulled onto the street, he gagged it and she stood-up and barked. I was a convert at that point.

My Grandfather- "DAMN KID! Buy a new car and tear it up like that!

:D

I secretly thought it was a WHEEL STANDING, TIRE BARKING, CROWD PLEASING SOB myself... ;)

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I'd love to see a pic of the whole dash, not just the push buttons for the trans... Looks like a tach peeking in from the right? They havent made GOOD looking dashes clusters sense the late 50's early 60's. Guess all the safety regulations put a stop to REAL design work on them.....

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I'd love to see a pic of the whole dash, not just the push buttons for the trans... Looks like a tach peeking in from the right? They havent made GOOD looking dashes clusters sense the late 50's early 60's.

Guess all the safety regulations put a stop to REAL design work on them.....
Well that and non-collapsible steering columns... :eek:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts