Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my garbage disposal is broken!!! damn it.....
apparently one of my shot glasses slipped down there, and one of the roomies or myself turned it on.. and now the thing is toasted.....

I NEED MY GARBAGE DISPOSAL!!
anybody know how to fix one????

·
Registered
321 Posts
Prolly need a new motor for it man, sorry to say! Might as well buy a new one or get a professional to check it out.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
A garbage disposal should eat a shot glass without a problem. My old roomate and I use to experiment on what it would chew up. If you don't hear anything at all from the motor, there should be a reset buttom somewhere. It is prob. on the bottom.

A good gerbage disposal should eat spoons, golfballs, chicken bones, ice {which sharpens the blades}, and up to 3/4" branches.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
PLumber here! If that is an Insinkerator brand disposal, theres an allen on the bottom, should have the wrench stuck to the side, but they get lost often. Anyhow you use an allen wrench and you can manually rotate the motor, which should free up what ever is jammed in it, use a shop vac to suck the glass out, hate to see ya cut a finger.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I replaced mine last year. Pretty easy, and I have basically no plumbing or electrical experience. Get yourself one of those big Home Depot home repairs book.

First check what the other guys said, restart button, and allen wrench socket at the bottom. But if it really is dead, it's easy to replace.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SWEET!!
thanks guyz... i will have to try that out later..... i'll let ya know what happens
jason

·
Registered
278 Posts
It probably has glass jammed in the cutter. Most models have a nut in the cneter of the cutter you can reach with a socket on an extension.

Turn it counter clockwise and it should free up. Then check for the reset button because it probably tripped that when it hung up. These things happen every now an then.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

thanks guyz.... we messed around with it today...
the old disposal was GOOOONE... so we went to home depot and got me an insinkerator blahblah 5 PLUS !!! 5/8ths HP BABY!! oh yes
much nicer now

1 - 10 of 10 Posts