Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Have you ever wanted to upgrade your 4 wheel drum mustang without spending $3000? Do you want to be able to go down to the local auto parts store and pickup replacement pads without special ordering them? I wanted these same things and that’s why I installed a Vintage Venom (Vintage Venom - Home of vintage Mustang brake conversions — Vintage Venom - Vintage Mustang Disc Brake Kits) brake kit. For about $1200 (or less) you can have a complete 13” twin piston front setup and a 11.65” single piston rear setup (article to come later) using 1994-2004 Cobra brakes. This article is intended to show you how easy and nice looking the Front kit is.

Figure 2: Remove your original drum brakes. You will need to keep your original front hub or order replacements. I got mine from NPD.

Figure 3: This shows the replacement hub with the supplied 3" pressed in studs included with Vintage Venom kit.

Figure 4: Bolt on the new caliper brackets to your stock drum spindles

Figure 5: Next you install the aluminum spacer included in the kit. This is used to give the correct backspace for the rotor/caliper & make the SN95 wheel clear.

Figure 6: This is the front 13" PowerStop Rotor. You can use standard replacement rotors from the local parts store, these are so much cooler.

Figure 7: These are 10th anniversary calipers. You can use any 94-2004 Cobra/Mach1 calipers. 2002 Mustang GT Wheels (must use 17X8 w/30mm offset)

Conclusion:
The Vintage Venom kit is so easy to install, you can buy parts at the local store, and you now have the performance of 13" rotors. You will need some other miscellaneous parts such as front brake hoses, front brake hose brackets, 3/16” ¼” adapters, banjo bolts, etc. All part numbers are included in the detailed instructions included with the kit.
Rear kit and a street testing article to come soon..

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Do they offer a front kit to replace stock 69' disc brakes or is this just to replace drums only? Looks good on the photos though-thanks.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
802 Posts
"Do they offer a front kit to replace stock 69' disc brakes or is this just to replace drums only?"

The only ones I've see have been for '65-67 disc/drum or '68-73 drum, like these.
65-73 Mustang & Cougar
COBRA 13" Disc Brake Conversion
http://www.mustangsteve.com/cobrabrakes.html

It would be nice for the 11.3" disc brake guys to have a 13" upgrade too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
That looks great, I have been looking into that kit and will probably be ordering it within the next two weeks for my 70 Mach. When you did the front how easy was it to adapt your existing hard lines to the flexable lines on the Cobra calipers?

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That looks great, I have been looking into that kit and will probably be ordering it within the next two weeks for my 70 Mach. When you did the front how easy was it to adapt your existing hard lines to the flexable lines on the Cobra calipers?

Well you will need to cut and bend some new lines. Very easy to do . I used stock flex lines from a 2003 Cobra for the front and 1995 lines were used for the rear. I recommend the kit, Also if you do order from them tell them Richard Roth sent you.

Thanks

Rich

·
Subscriber
173 Posts
I would prefer VV raise the price for an all-inclusive kit. There were too many trips to auto part stores buying items for installation. JMO their Cobra rear brake kit is strictly bling-bling. I didn't want to see drum brakes through those nice Bullitt wheels. Noticeable stopping distance? I can't tell the difference. Installing larger shoes would have been easier and cheaper.

This front brake kit is not for everyone. It requires 17" wheels as previously posted. That $1200 is misleading since it does not include the cost of larger wheels and tires.

My two dollars (rising gas prices).

·
Registered
64 Posts
I would prefer VV raise the price for an all-inclusive kit. There were too many trips to auto part stores buying items for installation. JMO their Cobra rear brake kit is strictly bling-bling. I didn't want to see drum brakes through those nice Bullitt wheels. Noticeable stopping distance? I can't tell the difference. Installing larger shoes would have been easier and cheaper.

This front brake kit is not for everyone. It requires 17" wheels as previously posted. That $1200 is misleading since it does not include the cost of larger wheels and tires.

Hey Papacito,
Did you install the full kit described here or just the rear? Just wondering why you did not notice an improvement if you did install a full front & rear kit? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

What MC do you have?

·
Subscriber
173 Posts
Hey Papacito,
Did you install the full kit described here or just the rear?
I bought the both kits.

Just wondering why you did not notice an improvement if you did install a full front & rear kit? Thanks.
I cannot honestly say there is a noticeable difference between the rear drums and the rear discs on the street.

·
Subscriber
173 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Just a quick chime, and not to hi-jack this post, but I feel that isn't shabby at all. For someone like me, who sticks pretty much to the street, I prefer the rear drums, a good set of 11x3" drums off a mid 70's torino work just fine.
Concerning braking upgrades, some asked about adapting the hard lines to the cobra calipers, I went to a local speedshop for my Torino 13" rotor conversion; I took a front brake hard line and a flex line, and found the correct line, then had some hoses made with the 10mm banjo fitting to fit my CV dual piston calipers.
My biggest headache was modifying my front end by machining a pair of old rotors into bearing hubs and fabricating caliper brackets to mount to my factory 1972 Torino spindles.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Strtcar/Rich, Did you notice any better braking performance??

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Strtcar/Rich, Did you notice any better braking performance??
Well I've had the car out for a couple weeks now. Broke them in for the first 50-75 miles, then i really started pushing on them. I can truly say they stop much, much better than my 4 wheel Wilwood disc's did. I'm still using the same Wilwood master cylinder. At the end of the day I'm very happy with the mods, it does however take some getting used to driving with big 245/45/17 tires up front without powersteering.
But the car looks great, it stops and handles better.

Thanks,
Rich

1 - 20 of 25 Posts