Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Build a '67-'68 Mustang Eleanor Roll Bar

Here is a step by step to fabricating an Eleanor roll bar for a '67-'68 Mustang fastback. The rollbar is very similar to the original '67-'68 Shelby roll bar, and it will install in exactly the same way. This roll bar is not NHRA legal, but it does add a margin of safety and it has "The Look".

Our starting point is a 10' long piece of .120" wall 1 3/4" round mild steel tubing:

There will be three bends in the roll bar. The two outer bends will be 86 degrees each, and the middle bend will be 8 degrees. They will all total 180 degrees. The first bend will be made at 28", the middle bend at 53 1/2" and the last bend at 69". All bends are made from one end going left to right, and they are all measured the same way.

The tube is inserted into the bender so the edge of the bender shoe will line up with the mark we made at 28":

The bender is a ratchet style JD Squared unit. The tube is pulled through the bender shoe until the end of the ratchet is reached, the moveable bender arm is moved to another hole, and repeated until the bend is complete. There are three holes that are used from left to right:

The first bend is made until the pointer reads 86 degrees on the degree wheel:

The second bend is made until the pointer reads 8 degrees on the degree wheel:

The third bend is made just like the first until the pointer again reads 86 degrees on the degree wheel:

We now have a roll bar "hoop" that needs to have some tabs welded on:

There are six tabs that will be welded to the roll bar. The two at the left are 2" x 4" x .120" thick plates that will weld to the bottom of each of the rollbar's legs. These plates will bolt or weld to the floor of the car. The two tabs with the rounded ends are 1 1/2" x 5" long and 3/16" thick. They will weld in the middle of each of the outer bends, and will bolt to the roof where the original shoulder harness bolted to. The two small tabs at the bottom are for the shoulder harness of a five point style racing harness:

The roll bar will be clamped into a fixture that locates all the tabs in the proper place:

The bottom plates are clamped into place on the fixture, the roll bar is centered on the fixture, and the plates are welded on:

The two upper tabs that bolt to the roof structure are clamped into place and welded as well:

Finally, the two upper five point harness mounts are clamped on and welded in place:

Here is the finished bar ready to be installed. In the next installment, I'll actually install one in a car:

Attachments

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
Neat little education there, but...

Is this really about showing people how to use their very own tubing bender to make a hoop... or is it more of an advertisement? Most people don't have a bender like that, and if they did, they wouldn't need your article to make a simple hoop. :)

Still, nice job. You've got MAD skills... I just don't think it's a DIY tech article.

Maybe I'm just being a little picky....

Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Mike. FYI. FordMuscle draws the line with advertisers who use the forums as a conduit to sell their wares without contacting us professionally or without offering great tech in a pictorial format. Tom Zuloaga (F15Falcon) has done both for over 5 years, he is also a freelance contributor with FordMuscle.

While we do not see this as an ad, the Tech Exchange is open to any vendor who takes the time to show "how-to" tech in a pictorial format without blatant marketing imagery and copy. Very few vendors have taken the opp because it is a lot of work putting these pieces together.

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Neat little education there, but...

Is this really about showing people how to use their very own tubing bender to make a hoop... or is it more of an advertisement? Most people don't have a bender like that, and if they did, they wouldn't need your article to make a simple hoop. :)

Still, nice job. You've got MAD skills... I just don't think it's a DIY tech article.

Maybe I'm just being a little picky....

Good Luck!
Hey Mike, Speedway sells an inexpensive tubing bender that can be bought for under $400.00, and you would be suprised how many people have them. Even if you didn't have a bender, you could take the knowlege in this article down to your local race car fab shop and have a bar bent up for a few bucks. You could then install the brackets yoursef with a little trial and error using a 110 volt MIG welder. I have sold a few of these bars over the years, but I have given out the dimensions to far more people who want to make their own. Tech Exchange is about exchanging information, if you can do some of the projects yourself, great, but if not you can take them to someone who can and have a better understanding of how it is done.

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
This is a really cool post, and man you can weld. Ironic, I have been working like a deamon on my roll bar, and writing a tech post on the process (Roll Bar for the do it yourself garage - just posted so you hopefully it will be out soon). I can vouch for how much work goes into prepping a post for this forum, so when a pro fabricator takes this time, its great.

The diff here is backyard shop stuff (what I just did, and I am happy with it) but looking at this job, I can alwasy see where to take my work to a different level. Thanks, F-15. Gydyup.

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Here is a roll bar installed in a '65 Mustang fastback:

The tab bolts to the roof:

The bottom plate welds to the floor:

This car is using Corbeau inertia reels that work like a passenger car inertia reel, but you have two belts like a racing 5 point harness:

The fiberglass panels still need to be notched to clear the roll bar.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here is a roll bar installed in a '65 Mustang fastback:

The tab bolts to the roof:

The bottom plate welds to the floor:

This car is using Corbeau inertia reels that work like a passenger car inertia reel, but you have two belts like a racing 5 point harness:

The fiberglass panels still need to be notched to clear the roll bar.

F15Falcon, can you also build roll bars to fit other mustang models? say maybe a 69 coupe or a 69 Cougar?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts