Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am new to this forum so I apologize if this is common knowledge or asked frequently! I am building a 331 stroker for my son's 65 Mustang and am using a '93 302 HO block. My question for you guys is, it is my understanding that the roller motors have a different firing order than the other 5.0s. I have heard and read that the roller motors are a great choice for building a stroker. What concerns do I need to be aware of with this? Do I need to use a specific crank for this motor? Any concerns boring this motor .030 over? I appreciate any info!!

Jim

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
You can bore it 30 no problem. You will want to do some clearencing so the rods will clear the skirts. The firing order is dependent on the cam you use. You can get a stroker kit that will have the crank rods and pistons rings and bearings. How much power do you want to make?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm aiming for 500hp, but to be honest my primary goal is to have a very strong motor that can be a daily driver for a 16 yo!

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Well if you want a 500hp daily driver you better put a blower on it.

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Your looking about 400hp with a 331, which is plenty, I have a 331 with a scat kit I bought from summit using trick flow heads and roller valvetrain....I would say if you really want 500hp better go with a stroked 351w

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
If I was in your shoes I would build a really good 306 (.30 over 302) roller motor with good heads and cam shaft it would run really good and save you a ton of money I have about $5500 to $6000 in my 331

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Monty, why a 306 instead? What am I looking at with a 331 other than a little more stroke?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts