Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys.and good numbers drag79stang.putting a 427 together,just a weekend cruiser not a serious race buggy. But I want to get as radical as I can and still maintain some streetability.so far, with a 4.170 stroke and 6.125 eagle H beams and probe pistons.compression is going to be 11 maybe 11.5-1.solid roller cam. looks like prolly a victor jr intake a 1250 cfm Dominator.still have not decided between Victor JR or 225 AFR's but they will be fully CNC ported,whatever I decide. The computer dyno says it wants a Hi rise intake, 1600 cfm, and larger intake and exhaust valves.I just picked a couple of differnt cams to try to see what it said with 1 7/8 open exhaust.I think it lied,dont think it is going to make any 780 hp and 833 with a 100 shot of NOS. It is just going to be "special occasion" juice dont PLAN on using it much. anyway back to the cam,with it screaming for big block size valeves,what are your suggestions? this is my first really hi performance build and I have been seeing where it looks like a lot of you really know your stuff and have the benefit of experience.Any suggestion would be appreciated....thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Personally, (and I did this......I don't just pick and choose cams),.....anyway, I call ALL the different cam manufacturers, and tell them what I want, what I have, what I expect. They in turn tell me what they have to offer, or can make for me to get what I want/need.
Then I call other people, (Ford motorsports hotline for one), and the Eagle people, (guys that put together the stroker kits), and ask them what cam (that I got the specs for from all the different manufacturers), sounds like it will make the best power/work the best.
Then I sit down and decide which cam I want to go with.

Too much information is never a problem........It's lack of that causes the problems.
Ask questions. Ask as many as need to be asked. Then ask more.
Better to get the right cam the first time then get one that's half assed, and it ruins your whole setup!

Good luck, have fun!

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes I have talked to my machine shop/perfomance engine builder guy and Lunati so far. Just thought I would get some thoughts on it from the real world. I always see everyone offering suggestion as to what cam they think people should run,so I asked. lots of views but only your reply. Thanks for the input,thats just what I will do.

·
Registered
231 Posts
On 2002-04-02 01:05, highpockets wrote:
hey guys.and good numbers drag79stang.putting a 427 together,just a weekend cruiser not a serious race buggy. But I want to get as radical as I can and still maintain some streetability.so far, with a 4.170 stroke and 6.125 eagle H beams and probe pistons.compression is going to be 11 maybe 11.5-1.solid roller cam. looks like prolly a victor jr intake a 1250 cfm Dominator.still have not decided between Victor JR or 225 AFR's but they will be fully CNC ported,whatever I decide.
If an 11.5 compression 427 stroker with fully CNC ported 225 AFR heads, a Vic Jr, solid roller cam, 1 7/8" headers, and 1250 CFM of carb along with a 100 HP shot of N2O isn't serious.... what is?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts