Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1965 Galaxie 500 XL
4 wheel drums(for now).
I picked up a set of 2003 Mustang Bullitt wheels with tires for cheap.
1.25 front and 1.00 rear, wheel adapters.
Look and fit perfect!
Not sure how to post a pic. When I click on "pictures" I'm asked to log in. After I log in, I just keep getting taken back to the log in page. It never advances to a pic download page.
What am I doing wrong?

RR

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RacingRob on 9/24/06 4:16am ]</font>

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!
They came with Kumho tires.
I've had them on my Cobra for 5 years now and really like them.

RR

·
Registered
115 Posts
Wow - really gives the old gal a great look.

What's the specs on the wheels (diameter and width)?

Great job - John

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Da bullit is armour piercing! Beautiful. Before I went with Torque Thrust II's I toyed with the idea. Looks like another coulda, shoulda, woulda. Very nice looking car.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I believe they are 17 X 8.
I'm not sure of the backspacing and offset.
They are off the '95 to '04 Mustangs. I know the '05 and newer wheels have a different offset and I don't think they are useable.
The tires are 245/45/17

Thanks,

RR

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On 2006-09-24 09:56, gbeeler wrote:
Da bullit is armour piercing! Beautiful. Before I went with Torque Thrust II's I toyed with the idea. Looks like another coulda, shoulda, woulda. Very nice looking car.
Thanks!
Another option would be the chrome Bullitts. Though I bet they cost about the same as the Torque Thrust IIs.
Your wheels were my first choice.
The main reason I went with the Bullitts was because you can find them with tires included pretty cheap on the Mustang only sites.
I have to find a suitable center cap to get rid of the Mustang logo.

RR

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for posting that pic, and for the complment!
Front discs are next. Now I can show 'em off through the Bullitts

As far as posting pics, I'm setting up the PhotoBucket thing today so I can post in a thread.

Thanks again!

RR

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
Looks great and once discs are on it'll look good through those.
I will probably have drums forever and just painted mine green to match the block. Ype bright/grabber green. They still had a lot of the red paint from like 30 yrs ago.

Deb

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
You know, I don't think chrome would have looked as good with your car color. I really like the way your colors go with the wheels. Very good choice. I think original torque thrusts with silver painted centers are pretty much bullit wheels anyways and the bullits are a helluva steal since most stang owners are putting on bigger wheels. My '64 has grown on me but the first car I remember my family having was a '66 four door 500. Dad had '62 boxtop 500XL before that but I only remember the '66. I will always have a spot in my heart for the '65 and '66 body style.

I never really thought about it before. I guess I grew up with Galaxie's and was predestined to own one. Funny how things work out.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My mom had a '65 Comet Caliente convertible that I always loved and I got to drive in high school. So I've always liked the body style.
Front discs are next, then NASCAR style exhaust exits in front of the rear wheels.
If I can get my Cobra sold (see "my pics&quot
I want to repaint the Galaxie, maybe a Foose style 2-tone job.
Thanks,

RR

·
Registered
278 Posts
Love that look... What have you done to the rear suspension to stand that thing up?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Maybe it's the angle the pic was taken. The rear is at what I think is the "stock" ride height. I have air shocks in the back, and played with the height till both rear wheels were centered side to side.
I have new front springs that I cut one coil out of. That brought it down to right where I wanted it. I used a dremel tool to cut the springs. That way there was very little heat generated, so as not to change the spring rate.
The car drives great! Nothing rubs and I haven't hit the bump stops yet.
I just need to get an alignment (sp?) now.
Thanks!

RR

·
Registered
101 Posts
Racing Rob,

How are these wheels working out for you? Do you have any close up pics? I have been toying with the idea of doing the Mustang Bullitt wheels or Torque Thrust D's on my 1966 Galaxie convertible. I found a set of 2007 Bullitt wheels and tires with only 900 miles on them for $400 - add on the cost of the spacers/adapters and I would be in these for around $550. I can't get into the D's for under $900.

Which year wheels did you end up using? I know the 2005 and later have different spacing than the 2002 - 2004. What size spacer did you end up with? Any issues with rubbing or scraping anything? How much was your car lowered in the front? and how did you lower it?

Mine is lowered by cutting one loop off the coils. So obviously I want to make sure that there are no issues with these wheels before I drop the cash.

Any information you can provide would be awesome!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts