Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the correct steering tie rod angle, should they be parallel to the ground? I have lowered( 1 coil) front end in my 80 Futura and bought a set of those bump steer correction solid bushings with offset holes. Now I red somewhere that these bushings can actually lift the steering rack too much and perhaps make the situation even worse.Should the tie rods be parallel or be pointing up/down? If so, at which angle? If those bushings do lift the rack too high can different tie rod ends with offset ends be used... I believe 92(?) up Mustang ends could be used for this purpose.
By the way, I just took my 393 stroker to machine shop last week, will start the assembly propably in a week or so.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
The tie rod end has to be parallel with the lower control arm. If you look carefully the tie rod has the same pivot point on the inside as the control arm and is parallel at ride height.
The solution for figuring it out is a pain but if you really want to know. Remove the springs from the car and run the suspension thru its range of motion to see what the toe changes are from full extension to full compression. Put your bushings in and see what changes, reverse the offset in the bushings and check again. Use the setup that has the least toe change. A 3/4 inch change at extremes of travel is normal and not to be worried about. I doubt you need to change anything to fix your toe curve after only dropping ride height 1 inch.
If you want more details on checking toe curve email me.

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mario, thanks for the info...makes the pain much smaller...I have already disassemled the frontend and will do the check-up as you instructed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts