Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What could cause a car to start burning out ecu's, because I just bought a car and the computer burnt up not to long after, and when I pulled it out it looked like it had been replaced before. So I assume it’s not the first time, any idea's…

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
The first assumption would be the presence of a ground short some where on the car.

The next would be a component or add-on accessory wired incorrectly. 12 volts or high amps wired into a computer sensor circuit can cause a host of problems.

Also a missing ground, could contribute to problem?

Electrical problems are the hardest to fix, especially if the car has an unknown or undocumented history.

Automotive computer are generally pretty robust meaning they can be forgiving of minor problems. But when you run into one thats frying computers, the best way to handle it is to get a schematic and start chasing circuits. The old shotgun approach or doing the R&R, (remove and replace) dance can get really expensive, in a hurry – without providing any reward.

Been there…Done that! The best answer, long distance, you can get from me is, get a paddle...you are down stream from a farm runoff pit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts