Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I smoked a Pertronix coil and a MSD ignition box. Total to replace, somewhere around $500. Any idea what caused this chain of events? I'm sure not replacing any of it at that price. So what are your suggestions. 67 289. I want to keep it HEI, but not at that price. I posted a shot of the melted Pertronix.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,493 Posts
Bummer. :( The PerTronix switches very little power as only a signal to the MSD box. Certainly not anywhere near enough to melt it. Chances are the coil or MSD melted first, damaging the other and also melting the PerTronix as a chain reaction. Perhaps a wiring short or defective component. Note an MSD or any CDI is considered high-voltage, but not high-energy ("HEI" or HE), and CDI is in its own category. If you are after HE for improved combustion and lean-burn economy better than standard energy (non-dwell-controlled, e.g., points, DS-II, etc) or CDI, then a P-II (not P-III) is one example module, coupled with an HEI coil typically under 1-ohm, such as a Blaster II, TFI coil, GM HEI coil, etc. There are other options.

However, if your application has very dirty mixtures, such as extreme cam with carburetor at idle, or 2-stroke or other oiling issue causing fouling, or extreme rpm, then CDI may remain the better choice to drill through the dirty stuff on the plugs. Otherwise HE would be the go-to for best overall ignition performance.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I dug up the coil, it's looking good, has 2-1.5 ohms resistance which is what it should be. It was all used stuff, came with the motor. I'm really looking at an all in one HEI distributor, which one is the best? I see they all are around $150. I also have a cam in it and I see some have cam gear issues. Want to stay away from them. Thanks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Years ago I used to comb the boneyards for complete Duraspark II setups. Cut the wires to the ignition switch and pull all the pieces @ once. Very easy conversion and all you really need for a dependable street engine.

Joe

·
Registered
10,493 Posts
What rpm are you going to hit? Coil-in-cap GM HEI is convenient, but most cannot hit more than about 5000-5500 rpm without a module or coil change (or both), so be sure to check that before you end-up spending more to make it work. My suggested P-II combo is listed above as the easy and clean path. DuraSpark-II is not an alternative if you want HE ignition, as it is only a minor improvement over points, with a couple features such as cranking retard. DuraSpark-I (red grommet) is HE, and came-out after DS-II. DS-I is the equivalent to GM HEI, PerTronix-II, etc. That said, they are more wiring and complication for the same effect, but they are Ford. ;) Do your thing!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I removed the smoked MSD 9 unit, replaced the Pertronix and used an Accel Super Stock coil I have laying. Fired up easily. So I'll just drive the way it is. I understand MSD repairs their units so I'll look into it. Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts